how do you rent a house or apartment if you have an eviction on your credit?

Asked by Tamara Mayes, Los Angeles, CA Wed Jan 30, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


SERGEY FEDNOV *** 424-777-9377’s answer
SERGEY FEDNOV…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
The best approach is to be honest to your future landlord and since you already know - you are a high risk tenant you must offer landlord a higher deposit maybe a few month rent to make landlord feel safe about new high risk tenant.

Hopethisinfo will help you!
1 vote
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
You would be surprised. Many Landlords do not go into too much investigation. You just keep trying and answer only the questions you are asked.
0 votes
Douglas Perez, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Some landlords or property management companies already have their rental requirements criteria.

But, if you are declined, you have to ask and/or negotiate either one or both to bring a co-signer who meets their criteria and/or offer them a maximum security deposit allowed by law which I think is 2 months.

Good luck!
0 votes
Mary Suliman, Home Buyer, West Sacramento, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Depend, what is the reason for eviction?

Let me know,
Mary Suliman
310-306-6525 X8108
0 votes
Sona Gallatin, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hello Edna,
you may need to get a co-signor depending on how much time has past since your eviction. It would also help to talk to the management company and ask them what they would require.
I would recommend a couple letters of reference, a letter explaining why you were evicted (was it due to loss of job, change in life?) and be prepared with a larger down payment.
Many people have had a difficult time financially, don't feel like you're alone here and the only one who's gone through this. Its the past, so now work on the future and hopefully towards home ownership which is where you"ll really start saving money and building equity.
Good Luck
0 votes
Caroline Har…, Agent, Northridge, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It will be hard, but you can always try thinking outside the box. Not just showing them another person who will sign the lease for you (one who has good credit), but maybe show them that you make good money and have money in your account to make your payments on time. You can even try talking to the landlord and explaining your situation and perhaps they will consider you as a tenant if you give an increased security deposit.

Good Luck!

Caroline Harabedian
RE-Search Concept
8700 Reseda Blvd., Suite 213-B
Northridge, California 91324
(818) 967-9626 mobile
(818) 979-0226 fax
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Jan 30, 2013
It will make it more difficult. Perhaps try offering to pay a month or two in advance and maintain that to show you can be trusted.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more