hi could you tell me if you have to pay property taxes if you rent or is that the responsibility of the owner? also is it true USA property taxes are

Asked by Togrol, Laguna Beach, CA Tue Mar 6, 2012

as much as 1% of property value and are they paid every year? are there any exemptions for 75years plus? many thanks

Answers

7
Toni Gamboa’s answer
Toni Gamboa, Agent, Moreno Valley, CA
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Hi Trogol!! No property taxes if your a renter and yes 1% above. Depends on area. If your interested in buying a home. When you are looking, before you put an offer in make sure your Realtor helps with the specifics.

Good look!!

Toni Gamboa
Prudential California Realty
(949)573-8399
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Hi Togrol,

If you are a renter then no you do not pay property taxes or hoa fees... Property taxes vary in each city.. Most are at 1% plus a few other items taxed through the city/county making it 1.3 % . There are some cities that have 2% plus other charges for the city making it around 2.3.. Where are you and or looking and I will help you out.. Call or email me.. Talk to you soon.

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
Natasa Stoja…, , Newport Beach, CA
Tue Mar 6, 2012
If you are leasing the property, the owner pays for the property taxes. It's another story if you purchase a house though! Good luck to you!
Connie Bramb…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Hi Togrol,
I am assuming you are talking about homes to live in and not renting business space. On business space it is quite common to have the tenant pay the property taxes. However on residential space it is rare to see anyone ask for a tenant to pay the property tax. Most homes that are rented out, the landlord takes into consideration their taxes and insurance and price the home for rent to cover that amount. But they pay the taxes and insurance themselves. I would say 1% is a minimum for what taxes are in California. Most common isabout 1.25 % for taxes.
Hope that helps,
Connie Thompson Bramble
Prudential CA Realty
714-337-8718
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Tue Mar 6, 2012
It depends on what the lease says about taxes. If the lease says the tenant agrees to pay the taxes then it is the tenant’s responsibility. I have only seen that a few times in a lease but I have seen it. The biggest mistake most people make is not taking the time to read what they are signing beyond the paragraph concerning the monthly payment. Real estate taxes can vary from street to street in my area. I have seen tax rates a lot higher than 1% around the country.
Mark Gundlach…, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Property owners are responsible for paying the annual taxes on the property. They are paid in bi-annual payments in February and November. Property taxes are based on each individual state's tax rate, the local county and city taxes are then also added. In California, the basic tax rate is 1%. The total property tax can be as low as 1.03% and as high as 2% or more, depending on the added localized taxes. I hope this helps you have a better understanding.
Web Reference:  http://www.markgundlach.com
Thom Colby, Agent, Irvine, CA
Tue Mar 6, 2012
The owner of the property pays the Real Estate taxes. Obviously, the owner uses he rent they collect to offset all of their costs including taxes, so indirectly, your rent contributes to the payment of the taxes. As the tenant you do not get the benefit of the RE Tax deduction on your tax return.

Property taxes in CA, depending upon where the the property is located, can be anywhere from 1% - 1.5% plus Mello Roos and other local taxes.