does a bedroom have to have a door and a window for it to be a bedroom in ontario?

Asked by Babs, 02050 Wed Mar 21, 2012

Answers

7
David Seymour, , Marshfield, MA
Thu Mar 22, 2012
Sound advice provided - check with local building and assessors departments at town hall, many local and state codes also have minimum amount of square feet of living space. Additionally, if the property has a private on site sewerage system, the capacity and engineering requirements for the on site system dictate the maximum number of bedrooms. This is a component of 'Title V'.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Wed Mar 21, 2012
There is absolutely no law that requires a closet in a room for it to be considered a bedroom, but the room must be at least 70 sq ft.

What is expected in your market, may and most typically dictate that the bedroom have a closet.

New construction requires there to a means of egress typically a window large that is large enough for easy exit and access, and will be spelled out in the building codes.

I can not speak as to what the requirements are in Ontario.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Now if you are asking about Marshfield:

I'd call the building department AND the assessors department.
The building department will tell what they will approve as a bedroom, and the assessors will tell you what they will assess as a bedroom - the two may not match.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Mar 21, 2012
The Canadians have a whole set of rules that we don't have here in the US. I'd call the building department AND the assessors for the town you are asking about. The building department will tell what they will approve as a bedroom, and the assessors will tell you what they will assess as a bedroom - the two may not match.

Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Most definitions call for a bedroom to have a door, closet, full window and heat.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Mar 21, 2012
I never heard it had to have a door but it needs a window, big enough for a fireman to enter, and a closet in all states I am familiar with.
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Yes and you Need a closet as well.