3600 month for this 1 bd apt?? Are you insane??

Asked by James Mucciola, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Apr 21, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3114350208-5431-La-Jolla-Blvd-A…

Answers

11
tsnclr, ,
Tue May 14, 2013
I live in Birdrock, (my hubby and I just moved there). I pay 2300 for a 1 bedroom with a den (approx 1100) with a view (small but good enough) . Beautiful place with hardwood floors, all the upgrades. Just gorgeous.
I agree with James, 3600 is INSANE. Not sure why the real estate agent is answering and getting her panties in a bunch. She knows that is insane. James saying the place is insane should not stop people from renting if the place is nice.
Chad Basinger, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hello James,

You seem to have gotten some agents fired up here, showing some passion, which can be a good thing. As someone who has lived on both the east and west coast, perhaps I can add a little more insight. In fact, I lived in a 750 sq ft apartment complex in NYC for over 10 years and that rent was over 2K/month and this was in the "inexpensive part of town" and had zero views..one could argue that is insane, although compared to what everything else was going for, it was actually quite reasonable.

When looking at the rent for a place, it is important to understand what the unit would go for as a resale on the open market. From there, you can assess what the monthly payments would be and then compare that with the rent being charged. This should give you an idea whether or not it is reasonable or insane. Taken by itself, $3600/month for a 1 bedroom appears pricey, but everything needs to be taken into consideration. Ultimately, the market will dictate what it is worth. Remember, if there is a willing party who will pay what they are asking, then it's not so insane after all.

Perhaps the individual in the photos is checking it out to see if it's really worth it???? Admittedly, the pictures do not shed the best light on this place.

Finally,, to support Debbie, New Jersey is the "Garden State" for a reason and there are very nice parts to it. Yes, it does not help to have some of those reality shows, nor does it help having to fly into Newark and merely seeing that immediate surrounding area.

By the way, there's no real reason to bash any state, as each place holds it own appeal to every individual who lives there. Yes, San Diego is America's Finest City for a reason, but it's not the only great place to live.

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference:  http://www.chadbasinger.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 21, 2013
ps....... if you think that kitchen is "lovely", you apparently haven't seen many pretty or high end kitchens.
Might be a great location, but.........shame on the agent who posted those terrible photos - the place looks small, dark, crowded and messy!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 21, 2013
Excuse me, Hector......but............"who wants to live in New Jersey (or Pittsburgh)"?

That was rude!

Try this on for size..........plenty of "successful folks" choose to live here - yes they do (it happens to be a very pretty state unless your limited view and frame of reference is based soley on inane reality shows)..

NJ happens to have among the highest per capita income of all states, along with one of the highest zip codes 07620 - Apline, NJ (2nd highest in 2012, was #1 in 2011)........along with a number of other extremely wealthy towns with entry levels of 1 million plus........and (unfortunately) taxes to match it!

A 3 BR condo is for sale near me at 1.9 million with taxes of $50,000, and monthly maintenance of $1600......one would have to have a level of "success" to afford that, don't you think?

Time to expand your myopic view, and learn a bit more about other parts of this great country.
Hector Gaste…, Agent, Coronado, CA
Sun Apr 21, 2013
James,
That is the going rate for La Jolla (Birdrock) during the summertime and it is fair. Who wants to live in Pittsburgh? New Jersey? Successful folks want to live in the best area and can afford it.

Lovely kitchen, place and location!
James Muccio…, Home Buyer, Pittsburgh, PA
Sun Apr 21, 2013
It's true that someone can ask any ridiculous price they want, Debbie. That place seems vastly overpriced in my opinion. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm a real estate broker and lawyer.
well - time will tell - I don't know the market there - do you?
I do think the agent did a terrible job of presenting it...........bottom line...the only test of the market IS the market - so watch and see if it eventually is rented - if so, then someone else didn't find the price ridiculous!
My friend's mom pays $6500 for a 1 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment in Manhattan - I think that's crazy, but it is NYC, and they can get that amount of rent without blinking an eye.
.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 21, 2013
The price is all relative to the location - you can pay $6000 for a 1 bedroom in Manhattan - without a view!

But - what surprised me are the poorly staged photos of this property
Trudi Geniale, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Apr 21, 2013
Hi James,
No the owner or agent is not insane. You live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and probably have never been to LaJolla and seen how beautiful this area is. Before you judge an area you should learn something about it!
I owned a fully furnished 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath condo that was 826 Square Feet years ago in Downtown San Diego. I was able to get $2500 a month for it because of its location and the way it was decorated. Were the men who rented the apartment Insane? No, because they loved the apartment and it was a great bachelor pad.
Every State has its advantages and you happen to like Pennsylvania which is a beautiful State. I have been there many times and my Uncle was a big builder there. But every City and State is different and
As we always say in Real Estate, Location, Location, Location. Thats what you pay for.

If you can't say something nice than you shouldn't say anything at all.
No I've lived in San Diego for the past 14 years, plus I'm a CA licensed real estate broker. Thanks for your input...now beat it.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
Royce Kemp, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Apr 21, 2013
I operate a furnished rental in UTC that goes for $2400/month, so I could see how this would go for $3600. It's all-inclusive of utilities, and furnished. A hotel would be $300/night with no kitchen or laundry. This is a great alternative for folks that like extended stay vacations and the hotels are just cost prohibitive.

If you're looking for something for May, check out http://www.postlets.com/rtpb/5912568
Web Reference:  http://www.roycekemp.com
Manju Gupta, Agent, Poway, CA
Sun Apr 21, 2013
James

As you may be knowing in Real Estate it is the location. Birdrock is next to the ocean and very high in demand. That is why the rent is high. I do not determine the rent. It is the landlord. However, I do provide the tools and guidance.
I know that you don't like it but in this particular area, they do rent for that high price. However there are areas in La Jolla that rent for less.

Manju Gupta
858-947-8490
Keith Jean-P…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Sun Apr 21, 2013
I agree, that is pretty high for that neighborhood. For that amount you can be in the center of LA!