125 mechanic street in red bank IS A SCAM!!!!

Asked by Britiany Gilbert, Brick, NJ Wed Apr 25, 2012

Answers

5
Susan McLaug…, Agent, Shrewsbury, NJ
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Please call and report it to the Police Department at 732-530-2700. They have taken reports on other rental scammers in town and this may be useful in putting a halt to it.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Apr 25, 2012
Britiany,
There have been many cases where legitimate listings are cloned by scam artists who create email addresses with the owner or agents names like JohnSmith188@xyz.com. They only need a few people to take the bait, send the deposit and they make a lot of money for little work.
This isn't the legitimate agents fault. I've had this done to one of my listings and wouldn't have know if a smart potential tenant didn't drive by the house and call my number off the sign. We had the add flagged immediately and hopefully saved some people some money.
Thank you!!!
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Apr 25, 2012
The listing agent for this property is a woman who has been a REALTOR for several years. I don't know who you reached; but you referenced the person that you spoke with is a man. You did not reach the listing agent.

If you are interested in seeing the property, you can arrange a showing - without any advance deposit, through any number of agents. It is not a requirement in order to see this property. If you have an interest in this property, by all means, pursue the appointment because the 'deposit' issue was related to the individual you spoke with, not this property.

I have heard of buyer agents charging an upfront deposit, and crediting that back at the closing, but the practice is rare.
Deborah, thanks so much for this clarification. I'm new to Trulia and I was really interested in this property and the only posting I saw was that of 'EdwardmTighe' so I reached to him. I knew something was fishy when he wanted me to send him my address to send me the keys and wanted a deposit upfront. My first thought was...'well this house is a hot commodity'...,but then again, I'm not turning over any money without seeing a place. Lastly, 24 hours after emailing him inquiring about the house....my friends started receiving spam emails from my account.
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012
Britiany Gil…, Renter, Brick, NJ
Wed Apr 25, 2012
I called the lister and he was adamant about me sending him an email an a dep, claimn that he's in Illinois & b4 i even sn the place. When I told hm I wasn't sending a dep he hung up on me
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Wed Apr 25, 2012
Dear Brittany,

Thank you for the feedback. Please do elaborate so that us agents do not waste our time showing this property.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931