Rentals in Meadow Brook>Question Details

Nixon Mercado, Renter in Oak Center, Oakland,...

2624 Foothill Blvd it's a safe and peaceful place?

Asked by Nixon Mercado, Oak Center, Oakland, CA Fri Nov 8, 2013

Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 8, 2013
This is a rather subjective question. If someone asked me to describe this neighborhood I don't think my response would be "Safe and Peaceful" however it also would not be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Oakland is an urban city and there is crime in each of Oakland's neighborhoods. From my research on websites such as, the crime rates tend to be higher in East and West Oakland, I would consider this neighborhood to be more of central oakland. The best thing to do is to spend time in the neighborhood and speak with people who live there. What is acceptable for one person may not be for someone else. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 8, 2013
I agree with Aaron. This is a personal "feeling", which is different for each person, and perhaps even what they are used to from their past. Go check it out, have a coffee and talk to residents there. You will learn a lot. Happy hunting.
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
It is indeed subjective, however, you can assume many things and lots of things are related to some key factors such as: Economic factors (household income), Highest Level of Education Attained, Crime rate. Chances are that the "noise" level increases as all the above decrease in quality.

As good place to see all this in one place plus rent comps for a particular area is Check out the newly released reports.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 30, 2014
Christopher's post is helpful. The best approach you can take to determine how safe or how acceptable the crime is in an area is to obtain objective data. The sites Chris mentioned are helpful in doing this. Trulia also has a crime link which shows how much crime, and the type of crime, that is occurring in any given area. Most people have different standards and/or comfort levels in regards to crime activity expectations.
You can visit and click on the city reports section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. Other options would be and