Will my lease be renewed if my landlord finds out about a past eviction?

Asked by Pwalters2011, Overland Park, KS Tue Jul 24, 2012

I have been living with my boyfriend at his current apartment for a year now. At the point he moved in, he was approved by a different landlord than the one we have now (it is a private owner). He was approved on his own (I am not currently on the lease) but we are renewing to stay 2 more years and now we both have to fill out applications again. We are great tenants, always pay on time, and are clean and respectful. I was evicted from my apartment 4 years ago and have a judgement against me for $2,000. When our current landlord dropped off the application, he did not ask for application fees and left us the new lease signed by himself.
What is the likelyhood that they will find out and not approve me on the lease with him?

Answers

2
Betty Simmons’ answer
Betty Simmons, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Sun Aug 12, 2012
If you live in KS all adults are required to be on the lease. If your "new" landlord doesn't pull your credit he may or may not find out. I would recommend that you payoff your judgement so if it comes up in the future it will show it has been paid. Also, ask for proof when the payoff has happened.so you can show future landlords.
Betty Simmons, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Wed Apr 10, 2013
You may be lucky...if he was doing the right thing...he would have pulled your apps then offered to release the property. Any adult over the age of 18 should be named on the lease.

If I were you I would arrange to pay off the eviction...get a letter from your past landlord that it has been satisfied to use in the future.