Will I be able to rent a 1-bed, anyway?

Asked by aprilsimnel, New York, NY Sun Mar 24, 2013

Hi. I've been in the same BK flat since February, 2002; the owner's son wants it now. I must move by 15 May. I just got a raise to $44k a year, so my max is $1,100 until I find a better job. Ideally, I want a 1-bedroom in Inwood, but would also live in Washington Heights, the Bronx or Brooklyn (Marble Hill, Bedford Park/Norwood, Morris Park, Bronxwood, Bronxdale, Kensington, etc., you get it).

I was unemployed for nearly two years. When I was on UI, I paid the rent first and the State of New York had to wait. When I found a job, my wages were garnished for the back taxes on UI. The lien is satisfied as of last year, but it's on my credit report now and the fact that it's paid off is also indicated on the report. This is the only issue on it, and otherwise my ratings from the agencies are in the upper 600s - mid-700s.

What can I do to assure a landlord that I'll pay the rent on time, aside from a notarized letter from my current LL attesting to that?

Thank you.

Answers

2
Dorian Polan…, , Bronx, NY
Tue Mar 26, 2013
The fact the you are open to living above 96th st as well as other boroughs, gives you a lot of flexibility. Usually a good faith deposit shows landlords how serious a person is about renting their apartment. However, since your credit may appear a little sketchy their is a possibility that you may need to pay 2-3 months rent up front. I know that may sound like a lot, especially with your budget, but you are proving your worth to landlords by going the extra mile. I can tell you right now I have two 2BR in Washington Heights right now that are going for $1650. Both are beautiful with condominium finishes. Having said that, I believe renters have the advantage in this kind of market when the economy is down because landlords are willing to negotiate instead of losing money by leaving vacant units. It's been a cold long winter and I can't tell you many apartments have been on market longer than they should have. I recognize that not everybody has the money to live where they want and I believe landlords are seeing this as well. Go out there and explore your options before the market heats up again, it may take some time but I am sure you will find someone willing to meet you half way if you are willing to prove your worth.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Landlords set their own rules regarding credit requirements, and most do seek tenants with good credit; therefore consider being upfront, be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs, possibly have handy some reference letters, possibly be prepared to prepay some of the rent, or offer additional security deposit, etc.; or consider a guarantor...