Why has it become increasingly difficult to rent a house or apartment in Valley Stream.?

Asked by sassigoodkat, 11422 Mon Jan 14, 2013

I would like to rent a 2-3 bedroom with 1-1/2 baths in Valley Stream. My husband and I have had no luck. We are currently in Rosedale and seek a better educational opportunity for our daughter. Rather than move back to Suffolk County and be 2 hours away from my job, I would prefer this diverse community, any suggestions?

Answers

4
TERENCE CAVILL’s answer
TERENCE CAVI…, Agent, MALVERNE, NY
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Hi sassigoodkat ,
Tom Brady had it exactly right . I am an agent who specializes in Valley Stream sales and rentals .
Since Hurricane Sandy , I have worked directly with displaced families and also Insurance companies who searching for temporary housing not only in Valley Stream but all along the South Shore of Brooklyn , Far Rockaway and points east . But there is hope for the future , as these displaced families return to their homes the supply of rentals shoudl increase , especially around spring time when most homes not completely destroyed will have been repaired
TERENCE CAVI…, Agent, MALVERNE, NY
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Hi again ,
Apart from my previous answer about the effect of the hurricane , rentals in the Valley Stream area tend to be few and far between because most homes in the area are one family homes .
What should you do ? call different agents , get the name of an agent to work with and CALL BACK\
regularly .
Rentals come in and go out VERY QUICKLY and if you dont call the agent most of the time we assume that the renter has found something
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Generally supply and demand could be a factor; check http://www.mlsli.com or consider working with an agent; also check local print media for by owner rentals, always verify ownership before exchanging any money; word of mouth, etc.
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Hi Sassigoodkat, I think the reason is probably two fold. For one the rental market on Long Island is usually strong in most places, secondly hurricane Sandy displaced a lot of people and many former home owners are now renters. I would suggest that you contact several agents that specialize in rentals in the Valley Stream area and let them know your criteria, then when something becomes available (assuming they don't have anything fitting now) they will reach out to you. Be patient, it's out there, it's just a matter of connecting. Good luck.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
#1 Listing & Selling Brokerage in NY
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803