Why do realtors consistently post false information on Craig's list?

Asked by Jugal_patel, Astoria, Queens, NY Sun May 20, 2012

Answers

7
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Sun May 20, 2012
Jugal, our listings are often copied by scammers and reposted on craigslist. Sometimes, homes that are listed for sale are copied and posted as rentals for amounts that are well below normal rent to lure people into a scam. if you see a home or rental on craigslist, try googling the address and bring the actual listing up on a company site or something more reliable.
Citi Living…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Tue Jul 10, 2012
You can always flag those listings, whenever you see anything posted as owner section and saying "broker fee applies"
You can also write an email to them mentioning that you will notify to Dept of State as a "bait and switch). If the consumers takes an extra step every time they see some scams like this I am sure it will be reduced down the road.
Rita Monroy, , Astoria, NY
Thu May 24, 2012
Jugal, I am a rental agent in Astoria I have a big data base with most of the apartments currently available for rent in Astoria if you need my help please give me a call 917.882.0667
Nick Sakalis, Agent, Syosset, NY
Tue May 22, 2012
I personally believe many Real Estate Agents and some Realtors post false information on Craigslist out of ignorance. Take a look on some of the things written by those same "Professionals" on the actual MLS. Unfortunately in every industry we have the individuals that are not doing the proper things towards meeting the standards of which the public expects and their peers work so hard to uphold.
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Mon May 21, 2012
With so much scam occurring on Craigslist you can't condemn all real estate agents the information can be hijacked. Also Realtors not to be confused with real estate agents follow certain code of ethics, what I mean is: not all real estate agents or Realtors..
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sun May 20, 2012
I do not know Realtors to operate as such. My own listings have been scammed numerous times on Craigslist List and we have reported the occurrences to the state and federal government offices along with the FCC.

No Realtor will ever request the type of information the scam artists are requesting; be very careful.

But please do not point the finger at honest hardworking Realtors without verification.
Jugal_patel, Renter, Astoria, Queens, NY
Sun May 20, 2012
I consistently see realtors posting ads in the NO FEE category or under No broker fee sections even though they have fees of one monts rent or more.
I have also seen and experienced multiple bait and switch.
Pictures are not an accurate representation of actual or represent a completely different property.
Yes, this happened to my sister at 6 out of 7 apartments we looked at, LIES
If you are a Realtor, you are earning your commission, Just be honest about it, the bait and switch tactic reflects so poorly on an industry struggling to maintain any type of good reputation it can. Can't these fools be fined somehow? Teri G.
Flag Thu May 24, 2012