Why are large dogs such a deal breaker when renting in Miami?

Asked by MiamiHome, Miami, FL Thu Sep 20, 2012

I have a 6 year old sheep dog who weighs 70 lbs. She is loving, caring and both her and the house are kept very clean. I understand the rental market is booming and home owners would find a renter without a dog more appealing but there must be a solution. I've rented in Volusia County since she was born and never received a single complaint over her. I'm looking for at least 1b/1b rental (ideally with option to buy) in Miami Beach, specifically north of 195/112 up to and including Bal Harbour.

Answers

9
Tamika Moses, Agent, Pembroke Pines, FL
Thu Sep 20, 2012
Hello Miami Renter,
Big dogs in condos are deal breakers because boards feel as though they can be a threat or even damage common areas. Building only allow dogs up to 20 lbs and some may offer up to 30 lbs. It is also up to the board that mandates the sizes of dogs that are allowed. For instance the Infinity at Brickell allows dogs under 20lbs but will take DNA smaples of your dog and register the dog, so if you dog per say uses the common areas as a bathroom and is not cleaned up they will take a sample match it with the DNA and fine the owner of the pet.

If you are searching for a apartment that will accept your dog, I would advise you to work with a realtor you will knows the in's and out's of what buildings will accept your dog. If you have any questions you can reach out to me and I would be more than happy to assist you.
http://flapropertiesbytmoses.kwrealty.com/

Tamika Moses
Keller Williams Realty Partners SW
954-404-4646
tmrealtor@yahoo.com
Luis Iglesias, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Unfortunately that is the case with most condos down here in Miami. Understand that a large dog COULD, not saying WILL, cause a lot of damage to a condo and the common areas. Your best bet is to maybe look at a townhouse with a small backyard.

Luis Iglesias
D & I International Realty
Principal Broker
(786) 395-0341
luis@luisiglesias.net
http://www.luisiglesias.net
Miami Beach…, , Miami Beach, FL
Tue Sep 25, 2012
There are condos available that accept large dogs, The Floridian does not have a large pet policy, however you should expect to put down a pet deposit.
Michael DeFi…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Sun Sep 23, 2012
I would suggest renting a home with a large fenced yard. Large dog's are just not meant for small condos.
Maria Ortiz, Agent, North Bay Village, FL
Fri Sep 21, 2012
I don't understand this policies, a dog 15lbs can do almost same damage than a 40lbs dog, and I witness that in some apartments I had done the walk thru, one time I did the inspection for an apartment tht I rented, and their dog that was 15lb super cute by the way, chewed the curtains, furniture and even door knobs, the apartment smelled like was never cleaned before, so I have learned that it's not the dog is their owner's who should be more responsible and that it doesn't mattter the size of the dog to cause any damage,
if I know of any building in the desired area i will let you know if you would like to send me an email, with your information I will try to help you find a good place, thank you!

Maria Natalia Ortiz Ladenheim

Direct line: (786)2632609
lovecolive@yahoo.com

http://www.costamiamihomes.com

Miami Riviera LLC
Nydia Montan…, , Miami Beach, FL
Thu Sep 20, 2012

I'm sorry you are having this issue.

Most of the time this has to do with the Associations by laws already established in the condos.
If you want I can do research and try to find a property that allows your pet.
Sent me an email and I will be glad to assist. but, I will require a little more information from you.
email: floridare717@gmail.com

Thanks and Good Luck!

Nydia Montanez
Keller Williams
Mason Boggs, Agent, Miami, FL
Thu Sep 20, 2012
I know its difficult however there are several buildings and units available now that i know of that have no weight restrictions and i would be happy to send them to you to check out Contact me if your interested. Mason
Chris Jenkins, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Thu Sep 20, 2012
If you're looking at condos to rent, many (most) buildings in Miami Beach have weight restrictions for pets, per the Homeowners Association documents... 20 or 30lb limits usually. I know, it makes no sense, as many of the smallest dogs are the loudest and most annoying (large dog owner here too!). Otherwise, some owners just don't want pets in their properties, as well. Some buildings restrict by breed also, but Sheep dogs are not one of the restricted breeds. The vast majority of buildings in your target area are older buildings and the condo docs prior to 2000 were very anti-dog, if you will. Some have amended their rules and allow larger dogs, but most still have the restrictions. In those cases, there is nothing an owner can do, regardless of the dog and its disposition. They are out there, it just takes more legwork!
Chris Jenkins
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Sep 20, 2012
My suggestion would be to find a place that the owner does his own management:
Go meet him, and take your dog along. (As long as he doesn't specify "NO PETS").
Make your case.