Why am I seeing homes for rent and when i look on Zillow I see it for sale. Are these scams?

Asked by Trudy Miller, 21113 Thu Dec 26, 2013

Answers

6
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Trudy,
Real estate professionals are not responsible for the information appearing on Truliia or Zillow.
These sites obtain the data from third party data aggregators who will and do change the data to suit their profit objectives. Trulia and Zillow both reserve the right to change or suppress data as it suits their profit purposes.
-
These sites are suitable for entertainment purposes only.
-
Actionable, timely, comprehensive, accurate data is available. You need to make a decision if you are serious or just playing around seeking to be entertained, then stay or act accordingly. A Realtor can provide you access to the local multiple listing service where the data is assured to be accurate.
-
Hey, you could pick up the phone and call TRULIA with your question. Let us know what Trulia and Zillow say.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Most times when you see a rental on selective sites, it could be a scam. there is a rash of scammers taking listings for sale and making them rentals at half price what they should be renting for, they add a story that sounds outlandish and get people to wire them money over seas. Check with a local and trusted agent in your area who can easily look up the home and see if it is in MLS, who the owner is and if if it is for sale, rent, both, or a scam.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Dec 27, 2013
If someone wants to either rent OR sell, and they wish to see what comes along first, then it makes no sense not to list it BOTH ways (for rent or sale) on ALL sites

We do this all the time on our MLS when the seller is open to either renting or selling

Maybe an agent in the Annapolis area will come along andt they can check out the home on their MLS - give the address
Mary Jane Ma…, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Thu Dec 26, 2013
Some times sellers may wish to either rent or sell, whichever comes first. This is not a scam. It happens especially when sellers do not have to sell, but also do not need or want to remain in the current home. Renting today is a good option to turn a property into an investmet. Please feel free to contact me with further questions, by calling me on (443) 506-0461 or e-mailing me at maryjane.macgill@lnf.com.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Dec 26, 2013
ps
one other possibility is they are "for sale by owner" homes.....and trulia doesn't allow them to be posted here
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Dec 26, 2013
They may be scams if the rent seems too good to be true. The scammers often hijack real photos of listed properties, and use them to create bogus rental listings.

My suggestion is to call the listing agent , iof there is one - or any local agent, and ask what the status is.

If you call, and the person says they can't show you the home in person, because they are out of the area...and they ask you to wire money for keys........it definitely is a scam!