Where in SC near the ocean is a great trendy family neighborhood with a small town feel?

Asked by Sandy Quast, Myrtle Beach, SC Mon May 3, 2010

Answers

7
Maureen Cody, , Charleston, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
Dear Sandy,

There are many beautiful areas along the SC coast.

One area just over the bridge from Charleston that you might find interesting is the Old Village of Mt Pleasant:
http://www.screlocate.com/Old_Village_Mt_Pleasant.php

I am originally from New England, and this unique area reminds me so much of a New England village.

Another great option is Sullivan's Island:
http://www.screlocate.com/Sullivans_Island.php

Let me know if I can be of help to you.

Maureen

Search the Charleston MLS:
Lisa Belcher, Agent, Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
Sandy,

My fellow colleagues have given you some very useful information! When relocating, it's important that you evaluate all of your options--from community areas and specific neighborhoods to the Realtor that you choose. I am a Carolina native, and have 8 years of experience selling real estate along the Grand Strand. I'm also a mother with three active children, so I've experienced a lot of adventure the Myrtle Beach area has to offer families.

The ideal area for you really depends on your price range, as well as how close you want to be to the beach, waterway, golf courses, pools, parks, recreation facilities, etc. Based on the school ratings at http://www.greatschools.net, the highest rated school districts in the Myrtle Beach area are Lakewood, Forestbrook, Carolina Forest, and Ocean Bay. Within these areas are many choices in trendy, family neighborhoods. In the $150k - $250k price range, I would recommend The Farm or Berkshire Forest. For homes less than $350k, you could consider neighborhoods such as Covington Lake, Prestwick, Brighton Lakes, and Waterford Plantation. There are a few luxury communities featuring homes priced from $350k and up. These include Plantation Lakes, The Bluffs, and Carolina Waterway Plantation.

I would be happy to send you a dream home worksheet to complete. This is the first step in making the right move! Once I understand your personal goals and expectations, I will be able to follow-up with listings that meet your search criteria. Please let me know when I can be of further assistance to you!

Thanks so much!
Lisa
Juliet Johns…, , Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
Are you thinking of a family neighborhood because you want great schools? If so, you'll want to check out the rankings of parents within the schools themselves at http://greatschools.com That's what we did in preparation for our move, as recently as April 1, 2010, from Warren, NJ! I'd be happy to share my research with you if you'd like a fellow Northerner to translate it all for you! Please feel free to call me at 843-215-0336.
Peggy Cleary, Agent, Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
Surfside Beach South Carolina is known as the "family beach". Located 4 miles south of Myrtle Beach, the town is a popular place to relocate or retire to. The Surfside Pier offers fishing and a number of locally owned restaurants. The town holds family festivals every so often. A senior citizen center, library,tennis courts and numerous parks are there for residents to enjoy. Excellent K-12 schools plus nearby Horry Georgetown Tech and Coastal Carolina University (offering a Lifelong Learning Society). Approximately 25,00 year round residents enjoy this family-oriented town. Go a few miles in either direction and you are close to shopping, golf, medical facilities , Murrells Inlet, Myrtle Beach State Park, the airport and the New Market Common. You'll never be bored living on the Grand Strand with year-round events such as festivals & fundraisers, the Long Symphony, local theatre group and chorale productions. Connect with others through the Newcomers Club (monthly coffees & luncheons, dining out groups) or just walk the beach year-round. You'll feel right at home in no time.

Peggy Cleary, Prudential Burroughs & Chapin Realty, Myrtle Beach SC
Web Reference:  http://www.peggycleary.com
Sue Straub, Agent, Eden Prairie, MN
Mon May 3, 2010
If you give me a price range, I can send you a list of properties that would work for your family. Most areas have a small town feel - just avoid being too close to the main roads and it be good. Send me your contact information and I'll email you a free list to begin your search.
Sue Straub, Broker, GRI, Realtor, HUD Agent
royalsusan@hotmail.com
Jerry Pinkas, Agent, Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
There are many trendy areas in Myrtle Beach that are located close to the beach. One neighboorhood is The Market Commons.

You can also go to http://www.homeguidemyrtlebeach.com/ to get details on many of the communities in Myrtle Beach.

Just let us know if we can assist you in any way.
John Kim, Agent, Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon May 3, 2010
Hi Sandy,

I hope today finds you well. Your question poses a lot of possible answers. As you can imagine, there are many areas that fit your description, however, where in Myrtle Beach you would like to live will certainly determine your answer. On the south end, Prestwick seems to the hot spot, it is on golf course, has tennis club and all the other amenities, and is close to the ocean. In Myrtle Beach, I would think Plantation Point, which is on the waterway and only 2 miles from the beach, has a great neighborhood feel, it is also close to everything since it is in the middle of town(and on the beach side of the waterway). Also there is Plantation Lakes in Carolina Forest, great amenities!, but on the other side of the waterway. Then on the north end, somewhere like Pine Lakes or the Dunes Club area are very nice as well, these communities are very close to the beach and are a bit more established neighborhoods. In North Myrtle Beach, areas like Briarcliffe are gorgeous!, old neighborhoods right on the beach! Let me know if you would like more information on a particular area, I would be happy to send it to you. Thanks again!
John Kim
843-504-0559
jkim@oceaninvestments.com