What kind of lease agreement would I use for a renting a bedroom in a 2 bedroom condo I own and live in?

Asked by Daniel85, Chicago, IL Mon Feb 27, 2012

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could direct to a lease they have seen in these situations.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mike Opyd, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Mar 15, 2013
Any agent should be able to provide one for you or check online for one.I would also Google Chicago Landlord Tenant Agreement and read up on your responsibilities as a landlord in Chicago so you can protect yourself.
0 votes
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Feb 28, 2012
To be safe, use the actual Chicago Apartment Lease which is what is legally required in the city.

Google "Chicago lease" and it's the second link that comes up. It's free.

A few things you'll want to do:

Make two copies (sounds logical but many people forget)

If utilities are included or are to be split, make sure to write that in and initial it.

Anything that is 'out of the ordinary' make sure you write in, i.e. No pets except for Boas, or no hanging of presidential campaign material in the kitchen.

Even though the lease will have an end date, have a serious discussion about the importance of appropriate notice if your new roommate wants to move out so that they can understand it can't be done on a whim.

Collect a security deposit. I own a multi-unit in Chicago and I had one tenant get a roommate. He did a separate lease with this roomie, and held onto a deposit. That roommate left with short notice, and damaged his carpeting. He was able to use the security deposit to cover these things (the exact rules for security deposit use are spelled out in the Chicago lease.

Good luck. And don't fight over the remote.
0 votes
Deborah Smith, Agent, Oak Forest, IL
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Here is the website that contain lease agreement forms and other forms related to the subject.
http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/documents Debbie Bergthold-Smith Classic Real Estate 708-267-5552
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Feb 27, 2012
You can just use a basic leasing agreement. You can grab these off online. If you need one, plenty of agents can provide them.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more