What is the rental housing market like in Reno now?

Asked by Irishglenco, Reno, NV Sat Jun 30, 2012

I am looking for a 2-3 bdrm, 2 bath house with fenced yard for large dog. Have 2 cats. Would like close to river and shopping. Apartment complex okay IF I would have a small yard or dog park in complex. Online websites for rentals don't provide much information.

Answers

4
Ron Bell, Agent, Reno, NV
Sun Jul 1, 2012
It is a renter's market with rents dropping and inventory increasing. You may be able to negotiate a lower price but with the animals you may have limited choices/negotiation room.

You should buy if you can, owning is 1/3 to 1/2 the price or renting these days, if you have credit issues, get them repaired or buy owner finance or lease option. I can help you if you decide on this route.

Craig's list has good deals but make sure they actually own the home and it is not in foreclosure, a lot of Craigs lists are scams, be careful. If it is in foreclosure, those generally rent for about 1/2 of market but you may have to move if foreclosed. However, the bank or new owner will generally give you a nice cash for keys settlement when foreclosed.
Mike Harding, Agent, Reno, NV
Tue Jul 3, 2012
I agree with Ron, CL has some great deals just be careful and make sure you can meet face-to-face with owner. If you are less worried about getting the best deal you can use a rental agency for less hassle. Buying pencils out the best right now even if you have use creative financing. Good Luck and Happy 4th!
Bonnie Star, Agent, Reno, NV
Sat Jun 30, 2012
I have a duplex that is available. There is 2 sides available now. Both are 2 bed and 1 bath, with a fenced community yard. Pets are allowed with extra deposit. One side is completely remodeled and the other is partially remodeled. One is $750 and the other is $675.

Bonnie Star
Dreams Realty
775-473-8942
Clark Riel, Agent, Reno, NV
Sat Jun 30, 2012
As a landlord I use Reno Rental Finders as a great source. You might want to give them a call. 775-342-5478