What is the best defense against noisy apartment neighbors?

Asked by Pennylane, Las Vegas, NV Wed Apr 17, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Becky Zisk’s answer
Becky Zisk, Agent, Henderson, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Turn your stereo or television up as high as it will go and leave for an hour. I bet when you return you will have a note on your door. Then, you can simply say you are trying to compete with their noise. GOOD LUCK! Becky
1 vote
Holly Brink, Agent, Spencer, IA
Thu Nov 7, 2013
I was a property manager and it's difficult to police those types of situations. You really do have to file noise complaints with the local authorities; because then the property manager has official documentation and it's not just "he said, she said." Good luck!
2 votes
It is not difficult to police this at all. It's just that property managers only care about the money. As long as the noisy neighbor and the victims are paying rent, the property manager couldn't care less about the noise.. They aways have rules against noise. They just don;t want to enforce them.
Flag Fri Aug 1, 2014
Cheryl Donar…, , Oxford, CT
Wed Oct 9, 2013
I once lived in an apartment with people above me and below me and I hated it. I tried talking to them several times and got no where but fighting. I tried calling management and all he said was call the cops, which I did a few times and they did nothing. I tried buying a "noise machine" and plugged it in my bedroom to help block out the noise so I can sleep, it helped some what but I still ended up wearing ear plugs too. I saved as much money as I can and eventually moved THANK GOD....and swore I would NEVER live in an apartment building again. Your living with a bunch of different personalities some good and some bad and its never a win-win. Good Luck...

Cheryl Donarumo
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Oxford, CT
1 vote
I know your post is old, but I am going through the same thing! It is aweful! I managed to get my downstairs neighbors evicted because of their noise and fightings every night. Now my upstairs neighbor is a heavy walker and plays her TV loud. Now I am in the process of buying a home and I can't wait to move! Thank goodness you were finally able to move! Best of luck!
Flag Mon Mar 31, 2014
Jeffery Sklar, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Ron has a great answer.

Don't live in an apartment.

Call a REALTOR(R) and buy a house.

Jeffrey Sklar
Desert Valley Realty
1 vote
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Jul 13, 2013
Fix your credit.
Save money.
Buy a single famiy home...in a quiet, treelined community.
1 vote
Dale Snyder, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Jan 15, 2015
It really is a difficult thing to deal with - your long term best plan is to get into a single family home environment to avoid the issue all together.
0 votes
mmaarkxwell1, Home Buyer, Louisville, OH
Sat Nov 1, 2014
Don't live in an apartment would be a good start . If this doesn't work move to wyoming
0 votes
Mitch, Both Buyer And Seller, New York, NY
Thu Jun 26, 2014
be friendly & communicate
0 votes
Emily H., Home Buyer, 30345
Mon Mar 31, 2014
I know this post is old...so i hope that you were able to move because I am going through this now and I'm in the process of buying a home with lots of space and land! I need peace and quiet!
0 votes
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Tue Jan 21, 2014
Usually there is not much you can do besides moving. Buy a house with acreage.
0 votes
Tue Jan 21, 2014
There is none. Just Move!!
0 votes
Lisanne, Home Buyer, Union, NJ
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Tell the landlord document everything. If that doesn't work MOVE! I'm going through it myself, I've complained but my neighbors don't seem to stop. That's why I'm buying a house
0 votes
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Just read today that Las Vegas home prices are still relatively new, compared to the peak in 2006. Go for it!
0 votes
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Speak with them directly.... words have power, and speak volumes... be polite... and if it persists, call the cops...
0 votes
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Don't live in an apartment!
0 votes
James Horne, Home Owner, Gulfport, MS
Sun Jul 21, 2013
In an apartment, noise is expected and it is always an issue. It is just something you need to deal with. Everyone needs to be considerate of others. If it is unbearable, note down your list of complaints together and consult with your apartment in-change.
0 votes
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sat Jul 13, 2013
Find a building that has sound proofing between each floor.

0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Jul 13, 2013
Considering allying yourself with other concerned neighbors and presenting your groups issues to the management is always the best "first approach" to achieving a solution. You have identified the problem as a group concern and passed it along to those that should be able to handle a resolution without getting personally involved.

There's often safety in numbers....

0 votes
Patrick Will…, Home Buyer, Sacramento, CA
Fri Jul 12, 2013
The best defense in a disagreement with noisy neighbors is sheer intelligence and responsible planning. "Defense" would not be a word I would choose, in speaking with anyone including your neighbors (other neighbors) I would educate yourself on how you speak about the situation.
If you have emotions running high, stay indoors DO NOT express this frustration in public. Do not make yourself look foolish as it will remove the effectiveness of your getting resolve around this annoyance.
One thing to consider is if these fools are high on drugs during the period you hear this loud music and confront them it could get worst and you may become emotionally ensnared in a huge verbal conflict.
If I may suggest a calm public approach, written documentation only expressing your wish to quite enjoyment of the space you are renting as your sanctuary sand home. While you are not a Buddhist monk there is a measure of mental well being which is being disturbed. Go to the top over the mangers head if nothing gets resolved with management. Everything in writing, keeping copies. If all else fails which if you plan this wisely it shouldn't, but after you try being reasonable and unemotional publicly and if you stake a look at your behavior to see if it is over the top... The only two options after trying your best to get resolve is to move and hope you don't go through that again and or purchase a home. Oh the third is to become a Buddhist Monk in a foreign country.
0 votes
OK. Here's reality from first-hand experience with too many times to remember. Your assumption is based on "intelligence". This approach is useless when dealing with not so intelligent people to put it mildly. A letter to the problem neighbor is a bad idea, but keeping records is, but for what? No Court will do anything that I know of to sanction the owner of a sanctuary, unless they're renters - period. Try to be "reasonable"? Who suggested otherwise? Your thinking is rational, but not reality. If you have a Board, then that may be worth pursuing, but that's it. If they break the law, call the police. If you get injured, call the police, then an attorney. It is my opinion that people today feel that they have a right to do anything they want, and do, as there is no respect for anything or anybody today. As stated, take it or run. Buddhist Monk? C'mon. This is a serious problem that can lead to tragedy, and has at times. Be careful and good luck.
Flag Sat Jul 13, 2013
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Wed Jun 26, 2013
Stereo wars?

There are some practical answers here. Though, I remember stereo wars from college. It only leads to escalation. What next, recordings from the airport runway?

I prefer diplomacy. And, I keep my expectations reasonable. People party out here in suburban Longmont, CO. There is noise. But a lot of the people who live here are parents who prefer the quiet. Sometimes the problem solves itself. Other times, you just end up complaining to management.

It could be an age thing. But, I've had friends hire bands and turn up the music until your ears bleed. Very rude.

If the noise is persistent, then you should approach the landlord/manager. The landlord or manager may have some good news, as in, the noise makers are being evicted or are moving on their own. In other words, get a full situational analysis before acting.

When you have complaints like these, you should write a letter. Though, property management companies will respond, especially if more than one tenant is complaining by email. Take heart. Yes, as a last resort, you can move.

Good luck.
0 votes
Kim Eisen, Agent, Twin Cities, MN
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Write a letter to the landlord/property manager. In most states you are entitled to quiet enjoyment. Look up the tenants rights union or organization in your state for the laws about that. I had one client in CA write the letter and give them a few weeks to rectify. They did not and/or could not. He was able to break his lease.
0 votes
esq24u, Home Buyer, Valhalla, NY
Sat Jun 15, 2013
Neighbor's can be horrible when in close proximity or not. I have done empirical research on this and have found that if you approach someone, you are fueling their pre-existing misery, and giving them a new button to push. I could go on, but I think that you have the point here. Run!

Sorry, but we live in a time wherein nobody has any respect for anything or anybody. When you get the chance, never rent or buy a home with neighbors that can make you miserable, and any attention paid, is nonetheless attention! Best of luck to you.
0 votes
Kelly Miller, Home Owner, Santa Ana, CA
Sat Jun 15, 2013
Everyone who has lived in an apartment has probably been the victim of an unruly neighbor or two. Try being polite but direct with the neighbors who are creating the issues and approach them with your concern. Try to calmly tell them how their noise is affecting you.
0 votes
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Thu May 9, 2013
Play the worst opera music possible really loud until the cd ends. I recommend going for a drive until the opera ends. I would not want to listen to it either. Almost anyone gets driven away by opera music. The loud neighbors may beg you to not play it again.
0 votes
Toby Crabtre…, Both Buyer And Seller, Tustin, CA
Sun May 5, 2013
I would suggest you to talk to your neighbors. Try to solve out the problem amicably.
0 votes
Vilius, Home Seller, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Try to talk to them. If that doesn't help call cops or get new surround system.
0 votes
Robert Adams, Agent, Henderson, NV
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Good answers below. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Robert Adams
The Adams Team at
Rothwell Gornt Companies
0 votes
Alan O'Riley, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013

(I assume when you say apartment, that means you are renting, people from back east say apartment even though they own it, where in the west we call them condos).

Everyone on here is right! Let me summarize:

1. File a complaint with the property manager or the owner.
2. Actually go to the neighbors and tell them to tone it down.
3. Move
4. Contact an agent to buy a home.

Doing steps 1 and 2 will result in a couple of things:

1. You make instant enemies of the neighbors (making your life hard).
2. The neighbors actually do tone down their noisiness (not likely).

#3 above is moving, move to another apartment or save up money and buy a home (condo or house).

#4. Buying a home, I recommend a good agent, go to http://www.399home.com and you can see a great agent and look for homes to buy!

Thanks and good luck.
0 votes
Suzie Marqua…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013
You have the right to quiet enjoyment where you live and pay rent. Do a Google search and educate yourself on all the particulars then have a very nice respectful conversation with the landlord about solving the issue. If it is a company and you do not get satisfaction get the Corporation or LLC's name that owns the property and Google their Corporate Governance. Got to the Top. When you find the names of the CEO or President look in Linked-in for their email address or phone number and contact them and get resolution.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
0 votes
Rena Levy, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013
You can either call Metro and file a complaint. You can aslo contact the owner or property managment of the property.
0 votes
Penny O'Brien, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013
wow, you're the sec ond person that has brought this to my attention within the past 24 hours. It must really be a common problem. I'd be contacting your property manager, OR, possibly address the issue with the nose maker/makers. If all else fails, move. Good luck..
Penny O'Brien
LVsweetHomes Realty
0 votes
Dean Decker, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Buy a house on a half acre. :)
0 votes
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
You can choose your relatives, but you can't choose your neighbors!
Wait; you can't choose either!
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Apr 17, 2013
That's an easy one to answer. Buy a house!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more