What are my rights regarding rodents in my union city, nj rental?

Asked by Frankie, Union City, NJ Wed Feb 2, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Rgnldwyman111, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Mon Nov 9, 2015
Is the landlord responsible for rodent infestation
0 votes
Mary Mills, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Fri May 25, 2012
Call rodent control and call the health dept.
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Feb 2, 2011
James - I needed a laugh today! Thanks!

Frankie - what has been your landlord's repsonse thus far?
Has he or she refused to call in an exterminator?
Read your lease to see if this is mentioned.

Are the rodents you are referring to mice?

Mice are hard to control, especially with this terrible weather we are having - they don't like snow either, and it doesn't take much of an opening for them to squeeze through!

While trying to work it out with your landlord, in the meantime - look to see if there are any openings you can seal up. Try buying a package of mouse bait (they sell little crystals in a plastic container - try Home Depot - - the mice nibble on it, go to find water, and die). They also sell sticky paper traps. I had this issue with a listing of mine - the owners were out of state, so I was the one to leave the traps and bait in the basement and garage - problem solved!

Good luck
0 votes
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Feb 2, 2011
I've attached a link to the NJ Landlord Tenant law which would pertain to this. I agree with Mike that this is likely and area the landlord is responsible to maintain for health and safety. Read over the link and when you contact the landlord you can address chapter and verse what you have the right to expect.
0 votes
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Wed Feb 2, 2011
Frankie just like dogs and cats. Youy can not keep them as pets unless it is permitted in your lease. Not even groundhogs.
0 votes
Mike Kubica, Agent, Hendersonville, NC
Wed Feb 2, 2011
A lease is not generally enforceable against health hazards. I would call the Board of Health and report the infestation. Before you do that, however, if you haven't already done so, you should contact your landlard , and advise him/her of the situation and see if he/she will get the problem taken care of - promptly.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Rentals in Union City Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more