Rentals in West Hollywood>Question Details

Laura Brown, Real Estate Pro in Los Angeles, CA

We would like to rent our condo in West Hollywood for vacation rentals, the CC&Rs state a clause prohibiting this. Can this be enforced?

Asked by Laura Brown, Los Angeles, CA Wed Oct 12, 2011

We have noted that there are a huge amount of condo vacation rentals available now that were never previously available. Has the law changed? Or are people trying to make extra cash?

Jason Harmon’s answer
Your CC&R's are rules that cannot be broken. Most nice buildings have a 1 year minimum to keep the building safe from transient "Vacationers." This is meant to be a good thing.

Your building will enforce these rules and could fine you and or evict your short term tenant. I do not recommend going against them.

If there is a problem with others doing this in your building. You should report it to the H.O.A.

What is the minimum lease term allowed? 1-year? If not, you might want to look into a shorter 3-6 month furnished rental and list it with my brokerage : MATT ROTH-BROKER #01153470

Matt Roth-BROKER
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 10, 2012
Dear Laura,
Yes the CC&R's can be enforced by the association. Many feel that too many "rentals' means a lack of care and concern for the property by the tenants. It's also an issue when buyers try to obtain loans. You are a voting member of the association and if you feel the rules should be changed, you are free to voice that opinion at the meetings.
Hi Laura:

My Team specializes in luxury Leases & Sales. We were formerly known as LARentFinders.

Call me when you are ready to move!

Jennifer Okhovat | REALTOR® | CA DRE #01866951
CA Realty Group LA, Inc.
8024 W 3rd St | Los Angeles, CA | 90048
P | 424.262.4946 | F 323.210.3227
Hi Laura, this question should clearly be adressed by a local Real Estate Attorney. I suggest you bring the CC&R's with you for his review, as well as any updated ammendments that you know of. In addition all the minutes of the meetings that you have since you purchased the property.
Also the contact information to the Management Company as well as the contact information for the Home Owner's Association principals, such as the President, VP & Secretary.
Should you need a referral for a Real Estate Attorney, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA
Web Reference:
Generally speaking, a CCR restriction can be enforced. The exceptions are when:

1. The HOA is not functional or interested in taking up enforcement action.

2. A pattern of permitting a rentals has developed and is tolerated by the HOA and local homeowners such that the CCR restriction is effectively waived.

3. There is no local homeowner willing to step into the HOA's shoes and take action to prohibit rentals.
Hi Laura,

I am not aware of any new laws that would override your CC&R's. I would check with an attorney or look at the link I provided for more information.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct (310) 828-3132
DRE License # 01894323
Has your CC&R's been updated since you've purchased? I personally would not do anything that the CC&R's prohibit, such as renting them out as vacation rentals, as you may get fined by the HOA. There have been no new laws that I know of which state you can rent out a condo even if your CC&R's say otherwise.