We have a cat...

Asked by ASM, York, PA Fri May 25, 2012

I'm finding it difficult to find a home that will fit our needs and be willing to allow our furry family member to be there. I'm sure everyone says this, but we would be ideal renters. We are looking to rent for a year as we relocate to the area in search of a home to buy down the road. We have amazing credit and have owned two homes and know how to keep them in top shape. Our cat really prefers to be outdoor most of the day and comes in just to get some food and sleep. He is neutered and we've NEVER had a problem with him spraying or making. Most of our friends don't know we even have a cat.

What advice do you have for us? I had one agent suggest that we not tell them we have a cat up front and let them fall in love with us as renters and THEN bring it up. I feel that's dishonest and I would really hate to go through a huge long process to just have them tell us no.

Getting rid of the cat is not an option :).

Help!

Answers

1
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri May 25, 2012
Ask the landlord if they'd consider having the place "professionally cleaned" when you take possession, and you'll have the place "professionally cleaned" using the same vendor, when you leave. Including any carpeting... (due to allergens, and potential "mistakes" that cats like to make)...

along with a reasonable 'pet deposit'. That could go a long way to alleviating a landlord's concerns about you and your cat.