We are renting a house that is now in short sale. We received a 30 day notice to vacate. What is the letter for? Landlord said don't worry

Asked by Jclingman, Rhome, TX Fri Dec 23, 2011

avout it

Answers

4
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Fri Dec 23, 2011
Hi Jclingman,

Who did you receive the 30 day notice from? You need to contact a real estate attorney to see what your rights are (they vary by state). DO NOT get advice from your landlord!!!! I did this once when I was a renter and the house went into foreclosure. You are going to need to move but the real estate attorney will let you know when you will need to do that based on your state's laws. Make sure you have the 30 day notice and your rental/lease contract with you when you talk to the attorney.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Fri Dec 23, 2011
If I were you I'd start looking for alternative housing. If I was living in a property that I knew was being offered as a short sale and I received a notice to vacate... I'd move. It seems pretty self explanatory to me. The only issue would be if 30 days notice is enough in your state.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Dec 23, 2011
Worry about it.

You don't say who the letter is from. That's kind of important.

Check with a lawyer immediately. Absolutely do not rely on the landlord's assurances.

Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Fri Dec 23, 2011
You need both financial and legal advice, and not from your current landlord.