We are a young family who wants to move from the Central Valley to the beach. My husband is looking for architect job. Where should we live?

Asked by Jess, San Luis Obispo, CA Sun Jul 22, 2012

Answers

1
Sonsie Conroy, Agent, San Luis Obispo, CA
Sat Aug 25, 2012
It depends on what you can afford for housing, what kind of climate you prefer, and where your husband finds work. I would recommend renting for a year or so before buying, so that you know more about the various options.

South County beach weather is somewhat warmer and less foggy in the summer than North Coast beach towns. Grover Beach and Oceano are the least expensive beach towns in South County. Pismo and Shell Beach each have great beaches and housing that can be considerably more expensive. Avila beach is really a jewel, with a great beach and fun town, plus expenisve and luxurious homes in the surrounding hills and adjoining the golf course.

Cambria and San Simeon bear a resemblance to Big Sur, both in appearance and climate: cool and sometimes foggy during the summer, with clear fall weather. Cambria can be rather expensive, and is pretty busy with tourism during the summer months. San Simeon is smaller and more intimate and doesn't have a lot of housing for sale.

Good luck with your prospective move!