There are so many listings in SF with rent as low as 1800-ish per month. Wonder if anyone has found a way to differentiate scam vs no scam.

Asked by Roojuta Lalani, San Jose, CA Thu May 29, 2014

Answers

3
Jlynch, Home Buyer, Bronx, NY
Wed Aug 31, 2016
Recently, I was looking for an apartment in SF on https://rentberry.com. I didn't see any scam posts there. What I also like about this site is that it allows to negotiate a rental price with landlord.
Ryan Rudnick, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Jun 2, 2014
$1800 per month isn't unheard of in the city these days, so many of these places may be real listings. Getting a real estate agent is a great way to make sure you're only looking at real listings, but it isn't the only option.

If you find a listing that you're unsure of, search for the address on the internet and see if you can find the listing on multiple websites. A real listing will likely show up in several places. If there is every a listing that asks you to send money or sign a contract without first seeing the property, don't! That's a good sign that a scam is involved. Calling whoever is listing the property and asking them for a showing is going to be the most sure-fire way to determine if it's a scam. If you are offered a chance to see the property and the application process for getting the apartment is normal (credit check, application form, deposit via cashiers check etc), you're probably looking at a real listing.

If you'd like help with any specific listings, don't hesitate to contact me, and I'd be happy to assist.

-Ryan
Is he willing to meet you in person? If so, you can make sure his real estate lic # , name on driver's lic, are the same. What is he asking for before he lets you see the property?
I'm a landlord , and I screen thoroughly before I let anyone see my (occupied) property, but also no pays an application fee before they see the property (my vacancy factor is down to 0 due to aggressive marketing as soon as I get 30 days notice, and thorough pre-screening before I accept an application).
Flag Fri Dec 5, 2014
Hi Ryan,

I am in the same boat and the person I am in contact has sent me a verifiable Realtor License #, but I am still unsure as he says he is not allowed to do showings as per the Privacy Policy of the current tenants...

Any advice?
Flag Thu Dec 4, 2014
Kim Benedict, Agent, Overland Park, KS
Thu May 29, 2014
Find a realtor to help you... this way you know they are real listings and they will protect you from the scams out there that will take your money.