The 3773 Torrey View Court, San Diego CA 92130 for rent at $1,500/mo is a SCAM!! Please beware!

Asked by Leigh Ann Wrinn, San Diego, CA Tue Jul 3, 2012

Answers

6
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
I'm not seeing any details about the scam. Could you please elaborate as to the type of scam it was?
Hector Gaste…, Agent, Coronado, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Another reason to hire a Realtor, we find homes that are listed by Realtors to protect you.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
RE#01382940
(619) 954-2225
efax (619) 270-2516
125*142*10754
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
Leigh Ann Wr…, Renter, San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, this rental scam stuff is really annoying for those of us trying to find a place to live. I currenlty live in DC and trying to re-locate to San Diego (job transfer). If anyone has some suggestions of honest leasing agents....let me know.
Steven R. Br…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Please make your loved ones aware.

I had a listing that was used for a scam. The owner occupied property was approached by a potential renter that uncovered the scam. I also got a call from a savvy renter alerting me to the craigslist scammer. The obvious clues were there. 1. Too good to be true. 2. Bad grammer. 3. Rediculous story about why it's cheap.

There's also a scam that preys on elders (that is working) and victimizing a lot of grandparents! I know someone that was fooled out of $7,000! It would have been more loss but the Western Union Agent put a stop to it! It goes like this. An elder gets a phone call from someone claiming to be an adult grandchild. He knows enough personal info to gain trust and sympathy about an accident or mugging. All objections to sending money are overcome with sly explanations. The caller convinces the victim not to tell anyone (that could verify it's a scam). Often this goes unreported by the victim who doesn't want to be thought a fool.
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Hi Leigh Ann,

Also, know that you can contact any real estate agent to quickly look up the owner name of a property, to verify it's the same as the person claiming to own or manage it. I know I'd be happy to do that for anyone considering a rental home.

Thank you for taking the time to let people know about this. We can't tell people enough, it happens a lot these days.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Leigh Ann thank you for the post, there are so many scams popping up every day it is nice when someone warns others so the scams can be removed.