Signed lease made full pAyment no keys

Asked by Princess Pittman, Hollis, Queens, NY Fri Jun 21, 2013

I signed a lease on June 15 and I want to come out of the lease ,I have no keys nor a copy of the lease what can I do to get back my deposit and first month rent please broker fee ?

Answers

9
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Go speak with an attorney., though without a copy of the lease I'm not sure how their going to help you. Is the broker even still around. It sounds to me as if you were scammed.
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Wed Jun 26, 2013
Call your agent & ask tell her you have changed your mind.
Tatiana Davis, , Brooklyn, NY
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Good Afternoon Princess,

What date does the lease start? If it does not start until July 1, then that is probably why. If not, the agent you used should be working on your behalf to get you what you need. When I do lease sigings, once funds are exchanged, leases signed, I hand over the keys immediately, unless......the lease date is later than the day we sign. It is made clear at the signing.

I hope by now you have it resolved. If not, speak to the broker over the agent if necessary.

Tatiana Davis
Davis & Associates Realty, inc.
718-805-2400
Robbie Vaughn, Agent, Mineola, NY
Sun Jun 23, 2013
Why do you want out? What was the mive-in date? Your question is a bit unclear. At any rate, most leases have a clause that state what will occur if the LL is unable to turnover possession of the apt. to a new tenant. Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.bverealty.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Jun 21, 2013
If your agent can't help, consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate...
Gary Geer, Agent, Antioch, IL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Princess Pittman,
Have your agent help you with this situation. If this does not resolve your issue contact a real estate attorney for your options.
Janine Young, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Jun 21, 2013
When does the actual lease start? If it did not start immediately, the landlord did not have to give you keps.

If the apartment is occupied or currently being worked on, the landlord may elect not to give you keys yet - as there may be valuables of his work men or the tenants there and also, if you moved in early with out the landlord electing to give you an Early Move in Rider, the landlord would be liable if you were injured.

There are many legal reasons most landlords in New York do not elect to give the keys to an apartment until the actual move in date of the lease for these kinds of reason.

Also, according to law, the landlord has a couple of weeks to get you a countersigned copy of your lease. That being said, there is no reason they could not provide you with a xerox copy of your lease when you signed, so you would have this to refer to in the mean time.

For the properties I rent and manage as a RE Agent I normally provide the tenants with a copied copy of their lease so that they have this in case they need to set up utilities before their move in. Why dont you ask the Real Estate Agent or landlords office for a copy of the lease for these purposes?

If you just want out of the apartment - you should try to do so immediately! I try would approach your landlord in a cooperative manner - if this is still possible - and see what provisions they might have in place to get out of your lease before your lease actually starts.
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Why do you not have a copy of the lease? I would first call the broker, get a copy of the lease, and then explain your situation. It seems a bit odd that you would be here asking this question - as common sense would dictate going directly to the person you wrote the check to.

I'm hoping you didn't send a check in the mail to someone responding to an ad on an internet bulletin board. Those sites are notorious for scam artists who advertise fake rentals and convince people (somehow) to send deposit money to secure then without ever seeing the unit.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Where did you find this home? I hope you did not WIRE money. Do you have copies of the checks? If you can find the broker, then go to them first and if that doesn't work go to your State Real Estate licensing entity and complain, but as Larry says, without a copy of the lease I don't know how you are going to substantiate your claim.