Should I pay 3% agent fee to the guy who responded to my craiglist advertisement?

Asked by Appletree, Los Angeles, CA Thu Dec 15, 2011

I advertised on Craigslist and an agent brought me a tenant. He asked for 3% of the annual lease and offered to do the agreement and walkthrough for me. I think he also represented the tenant. Is this normal? Shoul I pay for it?

Answers

5
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Dec 15, 2011
Appletree,
Did you benefit from his service? Did he bring you a good tenant and assist in any ways that were requested? If you agreed to pay his fee, than you should pay him and be grateful for a good pro. If they also served the tenants needs and received pay there too, this would be unusual but between the tenant and the agent.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Fri Dec 16, 2011
Dan's spot on. If you indeed benefitted from his services you should give him a fee for his services.
Charles Ritz, Agent, RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA
Sat Jan 26, 2013
Yes it's normal. The agent should have asked "If I bring you a qualified tenant, would you be willing to pay a 3% (of the yearly rent)?" Most rentals list for 6% total (divided between the leasing Broker, leasing Agent, Lessee's Broker and Lesse's Agent). This one reason why a majority of agents don't do leases.
Garrigus Real…, Agent, Redlands, CA
Fri Aug 24, 2012
If he has provided you with a renter you may what to consider it. Call other rental agents and get a census of what they charge to make sure he is not charging you too much.
Appletree, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Dec 16, 2011
But the property management company only charges me at most $600 for finder's fee.. Is 3% an industrial standard for this kind of fee? When I advertised on craigslist, I really didn't expect an agent would come to me.