Short commute versus space - which is better?

Asked by Nuzhet, Boston, MA Wed Oct 31, 2012

I want to be within either a 10 minute walk or 10 minute T ride from Copley square. Ideally I'm looking for a rental 2 Br/2Bath with a w/d in unit and gas range (I cook way too much to use an electric stove). Should I sacrifice being closer to the office to get a larger apartment? What areas are the best within a 10 minute T ride radius?

Answers

11
Rafael Herna…, Agent, Roslindale, MA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
I Believe that space is your best bet because in the end you will be living in that apartment and there are always many commuting possibilities once you find a place you love. I have many beautiful listings within 10-15 minutes from Boston in the Roslindale, JP Area with a short commute and very affordable.

We have a few listings that may interest you. If you want you can check our inventory at the two links below: If you have any questions feel free to call me.

(OUR INVENTORY:) http://www.realtyaplus.com/rentals.html

(RENTAL INVENTORY ON MLS) http://vow.mlspin.com/idx/index.aspx?id=69004&PageType=1

DON'T FORGET TO GIVES A THUMBS UP IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER.

Rafael Hernandez
A Plus Realty
617-606-9701
Wen Farina, Agent, Reading, MA
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Nuzhet,
only YOU can answer that question. You will get many different opinions here, some preferring a short commute and others more space. But the bottom line is what are you most comfortable with if you had to choose, and also how much you willing to spend, whether buying or renting, to get what you want. Wen - info@wenrealty.com
Mikel DeFran…, Agent, Canton, MA
Sun Nov 25, 2012
It's always dependent on your personal preference, but most of the clients I work with would compromise a few minutes on their commute to have the space and amentities they want for the other 23.5 hours in the day :)
Elena Quiroz, Agent, Roslindale, MA
Sun Nov 11, 2012
Hi Nuzhet,

Many of the answers here have asked you about your budget and they are absolutely right. If your budget is high enough to live near Copley you might not have to choose between space or commute.

However, if that is not the case, remember that Boston is a commuter-friendly city and that you can live in any of the surrounding neighborhoods that fit your budget while still only having to deal with a thirty minute commute.

At the end of the day, you really have to ask yourself which one you feel more comfortable with. Most people spend more time in their apartment than they do commuting. So if space is an important issue for you, I would consider that you look at the size of the apartment first and then the distance from your office.

Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Fri Nov 9, 2012
My 2 cents... go for the space
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Fri Nov 2, 2012
Larger? 100 sq ft or 1000 sq ft?
Sacrifice? 10 minutes is a sacrifice?
If you cook, you probably entertain.
Is more space better for that?

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Thu Nov 1, 2012
You can olny be in one room at one time.
CH Naamad, Agent, Boston, MA
Thu Nov 1, 2012
I d say it is a personal preference here, but I would definitely go for location.
John J. Dean…, Agent, Boston, MA
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Nuzhet

I knew you would get a whole slew of answers on your question. To truly answer your question properly I need a bit more information on you and your housing needs. There are plenty of communities that are close to the T that range from downtown Boston to across the river in Cambridge and Somerville. The other questions are you looking for city living or something outside and in the burbs ? How much space are you looking for ? The list goes on

Honestly there are very few 10 min drives into Boston during peak commuting traffic. The requirements that you have listed are easy finds. If you are looking to rent in Back Bay your can expect a rent upwards of $3,500 especially if the unit is in "A" condition.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. No, I'm definitely not looking for anything in the burbs. And actually, I meant a 10 minute commute (via T or bus), not a 10 minute drive. Would you recommend South End? I've heard mixed things about the safety level there...
Flag Thu Nov 1, 2012
Jaime Fernan…, , 02472
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Hi Nuzhet,
You could start your search in nearby areas like Copley, Back Bay, Fenway, and South Boston among others.
Best of luck with your search
Jaime Fernandez-de-Castro
James Furlong, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Reality Check - Tell me your budget and I will Give you your answer! If I had the budget I would live closer to work. If I had the budget I can require gas - it does cook better. If I had the budget I can get the largest apartment that I want. It is all down to budget! Tell me your budget and i will Give you your answer. Thanks James, FurChin at Re/Max Metro, 617-620-0669.