Scams... 5 different ones in HNL area. Be aware. How many have you come across?

Asked by Islandnurses, 96815 Fri Dec 31, 2010

Be aware... I have email 5 agents and all 5 are scams... be careful.. & do not send a check to anyone.

Answers

7
Krzysztof Bo…, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Dec 31, 2010
Hello
Before you send any deposit or rent checks to, any one you should check, if this person is really a licensed real estate agent in Hawaii. You can easily find this at http://pvl.ehawaii.gov/pvlsearch/app and if you been a victim you should contact Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs at 808 586-3000 and /or HBR at 808 732-3000. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me
Hope that will help
Kris Borko (RA)
808 386-1474
Kelmer Beck, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Yes, you have to be very careful in today’s World, Craigs list is a watering hole for scammers, I handle sales and rentals in Honolulu Waikiki area. Every CL posting I make gets 1-5 email scams that include them wanting to send me money via paypal.
They ask for your paypal email and then they use a hacker program to figure out your password and drain your account dry. I applaud the other agents for adding there advice here.
Caroline M.…, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Dec 31, 2010
One of the strategies of rental scammers is to price the ‘fake’ rental below the average rental rate in a specific market. This allows the scammers to receive as many emails or inquiries as possible.

One way to see if a rental is too good to be true is to look at average rental rates for like properties within that area. rentBits has a rental rates tool that currently offers rental rates for over 4,000 cities in the US. The only way to defeat scammers is by eliminating their economic incentives to continue scamming.

There are commonalities with all rental scam emails. Below are some tips when dissecting a rental scam email.

1.Does the email start out with Sir / Madam?
2.Are there misspellings in the email?
3.Are there character mistakes in the email? i.e Hello,my nameis Susie.
4.Is there excessive capitalization?
5.Does the email reference God, UK, Cashiers Check, Doctor, Nigeria, Reverend, etc.
6.Is the email from a free email provider. i.e gmail, yahoo, aol, hotmail.
7.Does the email refer to another person or agent?
8.Does the email reference wanting to move in site unseen?
If the email has a majority of the, these commonalities, then the chances are very good it is a scammer. If you are unsure, it is best to not reply to the email.

Aloha
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Dec 31, 2010
There are alot of rental scams and most of them start with ads on the internet. Do not send money by wire, or check to anyone. You should be able to meet the owner or a verifed agent. Look at the house in person. Do not leave any money in any mail boxes. Most scams are loaded with red flags. If it looks too good to be true, it probabily is.
Frank Diaz, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Dec 31, 2010
If they are scams, they are not agents. Also, you have to verify the owner's name as well in the public records database.

Agent search:
http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/e_services

To verify a homeowner, send me the address and I'll look it up, or go to:
http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/Search/GenericSearch.aspx?m… (not uer friendly)

Aloha,

Frank
Deborah Kirk, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Dec 31, 2010
Yes always be careful! I have been aware of a man from Nigeria who copies and pastes the words from an agents ad for sale and for rent, puts a picture of a beautiful apt, never to be found in Hawaii, and people so want it to be true they send the money then call or search out the agent and call them, too late money is gone, research first, Never Send any money or checks until you are assured property is real actually exists and agent or prop manager is for real. Take care out there everyone and happy new year
Best Deborah
Karel Kon, , 96814
Fri Dec 31, 2010
Why you will send a check at first place?
Web Reference:  http://www.BestRealtyInc.com