Safe, large-dog friendly rentals in Northwest, North Central, or Northeast Indy between $600-950 per month? We have a 75 lb dog.

Asked by Kimmley13, 46260 Sun Apr 24, 2011

My husband will be working at DEEM Electrics (E. 32nd St. and Shadeland Ave.) and attending IUPUI 2 nights per week. I will be working in Zionsville. We are looking for a large-dog friendly rental place, preferably somewhere in between the three places mentioned above. It is most important that we are close to my husband's job, but I have been told that that area is not very safe. We have young children and being in a safe neighborhood is a must. Thanks!

Answers

2
Beth Bearden, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Jun 11, 2012
Our property management company doesn't base our dog-related decisions on breed. If your dog is over fifty pounds, we require it to have a AKC Canine Good Citizen certification (for info, go to http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm ). This program is open to all dogs, regardless of breed or mix, and tests aggression levels and owner control.

If your dog passes this test, you would be approved for any of our almost 300 properties in the Indianapolis area that allow pets. We don't have many vacancies at the moment, but I believe all of them would allow your dog if it met that condition.

Kline Properties, Inc.
(317) 644-1400
http://www.klineproperties.com
Kyle930, , Indiana
Tue May 3, 2011
What kind of dog do you have? That will make a big difference to some landlords. You should start out by driving around the areas you are considering and seeing if they seem safe to you. You can also check police reports online or contact IMPD. Once you know what area, look for For Rent signs there and call all the numbers to ask if they allow dogs, it may take some time, but someone will allow them. There may be an increase in rent to have a dog, so make sure you get the rental prices that you would have to pay with having a dog so you can compare. You can also search on trulia, in the rental search, you can specify that you want large dogs allowed. Knowing the area first will help you when you search online.

If you are still concerned with the security of a rental, ask the landlord if you can install a security system, that and your dog should help keep you safe.