Renting with a dog, specifically a pitbull mix. Suggestions? Advice?

Asked by Ashley, Sacramento, CA Mon Sep 9, 2013

So, I should have mentioned this in my last posting about renting in Sacramento, but at that point I thought my biggest issue was going to be finding a house for rent in my price range. That is not the hurdle in my search. The homes are there! I have a pitbull mix, I'm assuming I don't really know what he is as he is a rescue. I have documentation, prescriptions, etc. as he has become a support animal. Anyway, I am finding property managers that I've come in contact are nice up until I tell them about my dog. The last manager I spoke to was down right rude, unprofessional and catty! I understand there are dogs out there that are just going to be a liability, but basing your decision on breed and not the temperament of the individual dog is nothing more than bigotry. I am in the process of obtaining renters insurance through State Farm and I have put together a resume/profile with statements from neighbors, pet sitter, and vets. Anything you can add would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

4
Ed Favinger, Agent, Folsom, CA
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Hey Ashley...

The reason you are having problems finding a place is the recent bit of "bad news" regarding Pit Bulls... I used to have one so I know they are sweet hearts...

So with that as a back drop, here's what I, as a property manager, would ask you to do to be considered with a mix breed pit bull.

I'm assuming you've got good credit... have a good rental history and no one that has come in contact with your dog has had a problem with him being real aggressive....

Yes... Get the insurance ahead of time and have it in place. Be ready to have the landlord and property manager named as "additional" insured

By all means... get those written recommendations and get the contact information for those folks that are mentioned so a property manager/landlord can do their own follow up and "due diligence"

and lastly.. I have had folks inquire to see my rentals with dogs bigger than 25 lbs, bring their dogs to the showing... so I or someone in our office can see it... see how friendly... edgy it is. Get a picture of him...

BE PREPARED TO PAY A DOUBLE DEPOSIT....!! with no questions asked.. in fact OFFER to pay a double deposit.

That will impress a property manager to take the extra step in support of you, if they feel the need to get an owner's permission. They will be able to say: "You're a 'qualified' tenant with a good rental history, I've seen the dog and I have other references and a 'double deposit' with 'renters insurance' naming us as additional insured"

Another reason why you might be having a problem is, Property Managers don't want to get sued or be subjected to a TV Reporter's mic in his or her face asking for a comment on a tragedy caused by a pet.

Property Managers because they don't want to get sued will most times take the "easy way"... the "safe way"... and it is so much easier and less hassle to go through my scenario above... They will "Just Say No"....

Drop me a note later... we might have some rentals available that would take a pet... not sure what you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

Make it a great day...!!
Alexander Zy…, Home Owner, Tampa, FL
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Most apartments will not allow certain breeds. you will have to get your vet to specify what the breed mix is in order to rent at most apartments.
Kylee Roe, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Tell them it's a boxer mix and be done with it.
FYI I tried that with the last bitchy lady and she wanted vet papers with the breed mix to see if he had any "agressive" breed. He could really pass for boxer mix, with his color and long legs. Thanks though!
Flag Mon Sep 9, 2013
Bruce Slaton, , Elk Grove, CA
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Let us know how the renters insurance works out, that's usually the main issue with rentals and even some homeowner policies is the insurer finds out you have a breed of a dog that they don't like to insure and everyone gets their policy cancelled