Renting in Baldwin Park

Asked by Jmj1024, Baldwin Park, Orlando, FL Thu May 3, 2012

My husband and I are relocating from Cleveland to Orlando this summer. He'll be working near Lake Eola, I'll be staying home with our 2 little children. We'd like to rent before buying. He visited Orlando to check out some areas and really liked Baldwin Park, but from online searches, it seems like there is very little available to rent there. We've made several online queries about specific properties, and contacted one realtor for more general relocation help and almost no one has gotten back to us (there was a single response saying that a certain property was expected to be rented immediately). We don't have our hearts set on Baldwin Park, but it did seem to have everything we wanted - walking paths, shops, restaurants, ect. Can anyone provide some insight into renting in Baldwin Park or a similar area? Our budget would be around $2,000/month, but we'd like to spend less so we have more to use as a down payment later. :)

Answers

4
Carol Bauza’s answer
Carol Bauza, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu May 3, 2012
Hi Jmj1024,

Baldwin Park is very nice. And there are other areas that are nice too, like Avalon Park.

Rentals are not as easy to find as they used to be but with the right Realtor helping you I'm sure they will find something for you and your family. I just helped a family relocate from Ohio and moved into the Longwood area.

If you need help and don't know where to turn please feel free to email me and we can set something up for you.

Good Luck,

Carol Bauza
Charles Rutenberg Realty
carol@carolshome.com
Tonya M., Renter, Orlando, FL
Sat May 11, 2013
My family and I am in the process of relocating from Chicago to Orlando with a 2.5 year old, so I understand exactly what you're going through. My company placed us in corporate housing in Baldwin Park at The Village at Baldwin Park; we are happy with things. Quite frankly, everyone pushed us to purchase in the Dr. Phillips and Windermere areas, but we fell in love with Baldwin Park, so we're taking our time to ensure that we find the right "fit."
Pluses

- it's walkable
- it has a sufficient number/kinds of amenities in the Village Center, i.e., dry cleaner, grocery, salons, restaurants, gymnastics and swim school (classes for kids starting at 2 yrs.), there's also a Bright Horizon daycare in the community
- it seems safe
- it borders Winter Park, which also has extensive resources, albeit it is a more established community. Winter Park has some fantastic restaurants, including one of only two Whole Foods in the area. It also has some wonderful gardens, parks and museums (the Science Center has daily children's programs, i.e., story or music hour)

Minuses
- Not close to highways
- connected to the dreaded I-4 (the commute times don't bother me, I'm a city kid)
- many people perceive BP as being overly crowded
- they are a bit underdeveloped from a retail perspective

You will probably be able to find a 3 br/2 ba place at or around $2k, but you probably won't be able to go much lower than that in the area. Check out The Village at Baldwin Park, Post Lake at Baldwin Park and Enders Place at Baldwin Park just to get a sense of market prices.

Wishing you all the best!
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Thu May 3, 2012
There is a severe shortage of rentals in quality neighborhoods in Orlando. The recession meant virtually no new construction for 3 years and voila we've ended up with a shortage of quality housing. No doubt, one reason prices are up 12% in the past year. I just heard from a father of a medical student in Lake Nona where the landlord wants to raise the rent on a 3/3 from $1,800 to $2,250.

Let me be brutally honest here. If you wait a year to buy in the "hip" spots in Orlando, you will pay 15 to 25% more next year. I've already seen it happen in Celebration and Lake Nona. A 4/3 that you could buy for under $400,000 now costs over $500,000. The recession is over in Orlando. A decision to "wait a year before we buy" will cost your dearly.
Juliana, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu May 3, 2012
I can definitely help you. Please feel free to call me directly at 407.864.2772. Juliana / Advanta Realty