Renting an apartment with poor credit, can it be done?

Asked by Theodora, Tue Sep 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently mailed in our application for an apartment in New Haven Ct. His credit score is high and mine is low...553. I had some touble about 3 years ago almost 4 and ever since then I have been on top of my bills and paying them on time no problem. By myself, I exceed the income needed to rent the apartment. Combined we really exceed the income requirment. In addition to my income I have provided the management company with a photo copy of my brokerage statement which states that I gave $97,000.00 in stocks that I can linquidate should I need money. I also have an employment reference as well as a reference letter from my previous landlord. What are the chances we will be accepted into the apartment?

-Desperate apartment renter

Answers

3
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed Sep 18, 2013
It can be done and will depend on the landlord in question. If you are going through a management company you will have a tougher time as they are strict. If you go directly through a landlord and can prove you are on the mend you might have better luck.

Chris
Theodora, Renter,
Wed Sep 18, 2013
All my debt is paid off I don't owe anything. I'm regular with all my bills I've been told by financial advisors it will take time at this point.
Jessica Tracy, Agent, North Windham, CT
Wed Sep 18, 2013
It will be hard, but you can if you explain your situation to an understanding person. I've had clients pay 6 months of rent up front to prove that they were serious. I would also pay down your debt. If finding an apartment is this hard, just think about purchasing a car or trying to get a credit card. Just getting it up past 600 will help you out a lot.