Rentals in Atlanta>Question Details

Matt Dermody, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Renting a home among multiple friends

Asked by Matt Dermody, Atlanta, GA Mon Feb 18, 2013

Are there any restrictions in Atlanta behind renting a home split between multiple non-related friends. For example, I have at least 4 friends who would all be willing to live in the same house rather than having smaller, more expensive apartments. Are there any particular zoning restrictions or other problems associated with this that I should watch out for?

I went to school in Nashville and it wasn't an issue getting a house around the college campus in this fashion but I remember it being trickier further away. There also was an old brothel blue law that prevented houses of more than 6 unrelated girls.

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Atlanta

Answers

3
Will depend on the owner and listing agent. But most likely your lease would need to be in EVERYONE's name and EACH would need a credit report. (If students, you are probably looking at parents co-signing your lease)

Hey, I was a college student once too, and there is always the concern of rowdy students, and damage to the home. I actually have a house full of college kids (at least I think) and all girls across the street from me. Other than issues with them mowing their yard, they not a problem.

You'll have to consider parking ( 4 people, 4 cars, big enough driveway or off street parking) Be prepared to have each person provide rental and personal references. Possible interview by the landlord to have a comfort level of the people renting. If you are all employed now ( no longer in college) this is a big plus.

Let me know how we can help!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Thanks Thom,

I don't think we would have a problem having us all on the lease and as far as a credit history goes, I believe we all have a pretty clean sheet.

I can definitely understand the concern of having a bunch of rowdy college students occupying your property, but we actually are all post-graduates (within the past year however...) with well paying jobs. Hopefully, us all being employed will be a huge help.

The concern about the parking situation is great advice as that is something I hadn't even considered. I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future house hunting.

Thanks again Thom!
Flag Mon Feb 18, 2013
Do you need a legitimate loan of any kind, contact my company via email:elitefinance53@yahoo.com.hk
The rule of thumb is 50 square feet of bedroom space per person. Each county has restrictions, so Fulton county may use the 2 people per bedroom rule. However, here is an excerpt from the Fair Housing Admin:
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in any aspect of the sale, rental, financing or advertising of dwellings on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex or familial status (the presence of children in the family). The Fair Housing Act also provides that nothing in the Act ``limits the applicability of any reasonable local, State or Federal restrictions regarding the maximum number of occupants permitted to occupy a dwelling.'' The Fair Housing Act gave HUD responsibility for implementation and enforcement of the Act's requirements. The Fair Housing Act authorizes HUD to receive complaints alleging discrimination in violation of the Act, to investigate these complaints, and to engage in efforts to resolve informally matters raised in the complaint. In cases where the complaint is not resolved, the Fair Housing Act authorizes HUD to make a determination of whether or not there is reasonable cause to believe that discrimination has occurred.

One other thing, it's up to the landlord to decide if you have too many people living in the house. The landlord can report the information to HUD, but nothing will be done about except to make sure you are not being discriminated against.