Myself and another person signed a years lease through a leasing company. One of the leasees moved out after 27days into the lease.

Asked by kimemore1227, Westchase, Houston, TX Thu May 2, 2013

I am still in the house and want to know legally what are my options/obligations are from the leasee that broke signed lease. Then with the leasing company.

Answers

2
RavenHawke, Renter, Ravenna, OH
Sun Jul 28, 2013
The legalities of this scenario is a very common one. Someone goes into a agreement with someone else and rent a place then the other person defaulted and leaves the one person holding the lease and the monies due monthly. If BOTH of your names are on the lease you are responsible for the stated amount as well as the other individual is on the lease with you. So you have the right and ability as well as the leaser company to pursue legal and eviction process as well as monies that are due. The leaser company does not care who pays as long as the monthly lease is paid timely and promptly. "IF" the lease is broken then you and the other leasee can be responsible for the "TOTAL" yearly amount of stated property rental amount signed and agreed to pay. SOME leaser companies will be somewhat understanding and work with you on the rental amount and pay schedule. But the bottom line is YOU and the other stated person on the signed lease are responsible for the monthly/yearly amount of this unit. They (leaser company) could possibly work a rental agreement out with you ~ BUT, they need to have to remove the other leasee on the contract and go forward with eviction and/or fines and culpability of the other leasee. They can work with you on the total bottom line due and get you out of the contract and move you into something more feasible , or allow you to get a new roommate, and/or re-write the contract in your name only if you want to stay there. This response is a snippet of the many possibilities that can or could happen. I STRONGLY urge you get legal counsel and look into all avenues before signing or agreeing to anything. You do not want to get bad rental history or credit history that ruins your chances of owning a home in the future or getting a loan per se (which will happen if this isn't resolved promptly) Best of luck to you.
Ryan Jennings, Agent, Wellington, FL
Sun Jul 28, 2013
It is my feeling that you are both still obligated by the terms of the original lease. You may want to discuss with the landlord your options, possibly look into getting a replacement roommate? The lease you signed with your old roommate is a binding agreement.

If you need a real estate attorney I would be glad to recommend someone for you...however, my recommendation is to discuss with the landlords a way to make the situation work.