My lease is expiring on June 30th. My Landlord has sent me a notice to move? Do I have to move or may I extend the lease?

Asked by Susan Wales, Pacific Palisades, CA Tue Apr 17, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Neal Grusky’s answer
Neal Grusky, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
This all depends on what city you live in. What type of property you live in. Many varibles here. Please give us more details, so we can help you out.
Good luck!

Neal Grusky
DRE# 01890580
Hpremiere Properties
Real Estate and Financing 10940 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1600, LA 90024 | Office: (800) 652-1768 | Fax: (800) 652-7604
0 votes
Olivier Less…, , Santa Monica, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
If the property is under rent control then you will need to refer to the Los Angeles Housing Deapartment, just google them, if the property is not in a rent control area, then yes the owner has the right to give you a 30 day notice to leave if your current lease is expired or is expiring. If you need help finding a new place contact my company at Good luck!
0 votes
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hi Susan:

This all depends on your lease, what area you live in, the year the property was built and if the property you are leasing is a single family home, or if it has additional rental units on the property.

If you life in Pacific Palisades, you are considered to be in the City of Los Angeles and the property may or may not be covered under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

If the property you are in is a single family home, and there are no other housing structures attached to it, ie: another unit, cottage house, etc., then the owner has the right to either continue your lease on a month to month basis, ask you to renew the lease term for another period of time or he can give you a notice to vacate within 30 to 90 days, depending on what is said in your lease.

If there are other rental structures on the property, attached or detached, and the property was built prior to 1978, it is covered under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance and they can not evict you by just issuing a notice to vacate. You may be eligible for relocation fees if this is the case.

If the property was built after 1978, then it is not covered under the RSO, however, notice to vacate may be an extended period of time, not just 30 days.

You may contact the City of Los Angeles Housing Authority to get clarity on your situation.
Their number is (866) 557-7368.
The link is below as well.

If you do need to move, please feel free to give me a call and I can assist you in finding your new home.

Good luck!

All the best,

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
(323) 819-4760
0 votes
Jane Peters, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
As Jessica says, call the Housing Department. There are so many variables that it is impossible to know whether your landlord can ask you to leave or not. The main criterion is whether you are under rent control or not.
0 votes
Janey Bishop, Agent, Encino, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
I suggest you ask the Landlord. He/she may be sending it to initiate a formal resolution either way. Don't guess if you don't have to.
0 votes
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hi Susan,

Your unit is probably rent controlled because it is in the city of Los Angeles. You should call The Los Angeles Housing Department to check at 1-866-557-RENT. Under most circumstances they cannot send you a 30-day-notice to vacate. Explain the letter and your situation to the housing department and they should be able to give you more guidance.

Get back to us and let us know what you find out.


Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
1415 Stanford St., Suite #2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct (310) 828-3132
DRE License # 01894323
0 votes
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hi Susan,

You need to refer to the lease agreement that is currently in effect to see how much notice your landlord is required to give you. You may also want to check your local ordinances. The landlord does not have to renew your lease if they don't want to. So, if your landlord has given you enough notice (per you lease and local ordinances), yes you have to move - unless you can get your landlord to renew your lease.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes
Jeffrey White, Agent, Beverly HIlls, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
What type of property is this? Single family or 2+ units?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more