My husband and I and our teenage daughter is moving back to Md. want to live in Randallstown, Renters are asking for individual application fees,and

Asked by Roses, Randallstown, MD Thu May 13, 2010

the cost is ridiculous. If we are a family, why do my husband and I have to pay 2 separate fees?

Answers

4
Tammy Durbin, Agent, Mount Airy, MD
Thu May 13, 2010
The companies are just trying to protect the owners. Just try to be unfront with your credit and employment. Some companies will charge different fees. Long and Foster typically charges $40 per applicant. Unfortunately it's just the cost of doing business. If you go through a private owner they may handle the application and credit report differenly.

Web Reference:  http://tammydurbin.com
Calvin Parris, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Thu May 13, 2010
It is customary to charge each adult that will be named on the lease, an application fee to cover the cost of credit check and other expenses related to processing the application. So sometimes, even if you have a dependent over the age of 18, you may have to pay a fee for that child as well.
voices member, , 21117
Thu May 13, 2010
Hi Roses,

Welcome back to town! The reason there are two fees are because they run a full credit check and employment verification check on each adult who will be occupying the home. Are you working with an agent? If you apply for multiple homes, the landlord will accept a previous application. Let me know if I can assist. I grew up in Randallstown and know the area quite well. Best of luck to you!

Lisa Devnew
LDevnew@cbmove.com
410-615-0990
Ania Miller, Agent, Millersville, MD
Thu May 13, 2010
Roses;
First of all, welcome back to Maryland!
Secondly, some Real Estate companies charge a single fee is you are married, others charge individual fees, it all depends on the company. This fee in non-refundable and required to be paid to yet another company that runs the credit.
Agent that represents the owner in a transaction as part of his services has to make sure that the people that are looking to rent are in good standing with good credit. The monies for that are collected and paid to the company that acutally performs the credt.
I hope that this helps you somewhat.
Ania
AniaMiller@kw.com
443-336-8206
Web Reference:  http://www.aniamiller.com