My girlfriend and I are relocating to Austin around the 24th of August. We've been searching but nothing is sticking out. Any Suggestions??

Asked by joe, Austin, TX Mon Jul 29, 2013

Answers

13
Steven Van O…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Joe,

August can be a tough month to find a rental in Austin as we have an influx of college students also looking for housing in August. Hyde park is one of the most popular areas for college students and young professionals. The East Side has a lot to offer and is growing at a rapid pace.

If you still need help feel free to reach out to me with any questions you might have.

Steven

Steven@PaulyPresley.com
1st Zero-Emi…, , Austin, TX
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Well I can get you a one bedroom in that price range and area. No house.

Go here and search for Lease listings to get started. Http://ShawnMon.com
joe, Renter, Austin, TX
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Wow, thanks for all the input.. it's been very helpful! Are price range caps out at around $1000-1100, but finding something a little cheaper would be nice since we are moving to Austin to raise a family. we've primarily been looking around Hyde Park and also the east side... that seems to be where most of the listings are. Apartment or house, it doesn't really matter as long as there is a nice floor plan and centrally located.
Dear Joe,
It is going to be impossible to find a house or apartment in Hyde Park for that amount. This area is very central and close to the university campus so it is full of students that pay $600-800 per bedroom in a house or apartment. There are some other areas that might work for you. You will need to go further south or much further north to meet that price range. The areas you should look at are Kyle, Buda, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander and Pflugerville. I am including a link to homes for lease in your price range. all have 3 bedrooms but range in size from 900SF up to 2400SF. I hope you find what your looking for.
Cheers,
Betina
Here is the link: http://actris.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=1762387940&s=AUS&t=AUS

Customer Full - Lease
Photo Report
Flag Tue Jul 30, 2013
, ,
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Good afternoon Joe,

I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment.

TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Thanks, Trevor.
Having someone besides and agent explain how real estate agency works is a great service. In may area renters do not need an agent to represent them, but Austin is one of the city's where the fast pace and high demand for rental homes makes it the standard.
Your "Buyer's (Renter)) agent" will help you with anything listed by anyone in the MLS, they will learn what works for you and find it. They also will make sure that you understand the rental terms and the lease, and can help with all sorts of moving resources.
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
Sherry Fields, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Hi Joe,
You don't say if you are looking to lease or to buy. Also, your size and price criteria. I am sure I can help you find the perfect place if you contact me.

You will enjoy Austin, it is vibrant and lots of fun. Very hot in the Summer but our winter makes up for it.

Sherry Fields
sherryfieldsproperties@gmail.com
Hayat Shaban, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to austin, it is very hard finding the right place, when you are far away. I understand what you mean of nothing sticking. I moved to Austin 2 years a go and felt the same way when I was looking for a home. Are you looking to buy or lease? Which area do you want to be in? Please let me know if I can help in anyway.
Hayat Shaban
Jeffrey Schn…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Joe,

It would be helpful to know what you're looking for, and as important, what parts of town you're willing to consider. Either share that info as a reply here, or send more detailed information to one of us.

Price point and location are going to be your driving force, neither of which we have at this point in time.

Thanks, and an early "Welcome to Austin"!

Jeffrey Schnabel
Broker - Exclusive Client Agency
Representing People, Not Properties
512-913-7480
SCHNABELJS@GMAIL.COM
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
August and September can be a tough time to find a rental. This is the time of year that all the college students come back to Austin so competition can be difficult. Have you called a Realtor to help you find the right place? I wish you the best and welcome to Austin!
Lela Manning, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
HI Joe,

Late summer can be a very hectic time in the housing market for Austin. Traditionally, its when the students are all moving in and there can be a bit of a frenzy over homes and apartments available to rent. Add in that across the board Austin has been one of the fastest moving housing markets, both in sales and leasing, for a number of months and it can be overwhelming trying to find a place.

I'd be glad to help, especially if you are not in the area yet, by being your eyes on the market and your feet on the ground to stay ahead of the game and get you and your girlfriend moved to Austin and enjoying your new life here, with way less stress. Hit me with an email or feel free to call or text, we can narrow down what you are looking for and weed out the places that are not a good fit.

Lela Manning
Realtor/Marketing Director
cell: 512.981.5712
• email:lela@urban2realty.com
• Urban Squared Realty Midtown
• 2700 W Anderson Ln Ste 410 Austin TX 78757
• http://www.urbansquaredrealty.com
vivianne dor…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Joe, what d you mean by "nothing sticking"? How and where are you searching? The best way is to work with an agent who knows what is available and will save you a lot of time. If you contact me and tell me exactly what you are looking for (location,price range, number of beds/bath, etc.), I am sure I can help as long as you have realistic expectations. The rental market is booming in Austin, the inventory is rather low and properties go fast.

Vivianne Dordea
Sierra Homes Realty
512-554-5997
Dan Burstain, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Hi Joe,

My services are free of charge and I am happy to help you find a place that meets all your criteria. Just give me a call or email.

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin Realtors - Helping clients for over 40 years.
cell: 512-588-3260
Dan@JBGoodwin.com
Michael & St…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Joe, are you primarily interested in renting?
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to Austin! You could try staying in a short term rental until you find the right home. You can find many great places at AirB&B. I wish you muck luck! Let me know if I can help.