My friend wants to rent a house in Greenwich and she has 2 dogs, how landlords in that area see renting with pets?

Asked by Patricia Bee, Greenwich, CT Thu Nov 3, 2011

Answers

8
Richard Bre…, Agent, GREENWICH, CT
Thu Nov 3, 2011
Patricia,

Looking for a rental in Greenwich that will allow 2 dogs could be tough? Many lanlords just don't allow pets and state it clearly on the listings. With that said if you give me a price point I can check to see what is available. If your friend does not see anything to their liking I can contact the agents on the properties that list no pets and see if they are willing to make an exception. I have been successful doing this in the past.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Thu Nov 3, 2011
Hello Patricia,
According to Richard Breglia's profile; I noticed that you have recommended him as it appears that you have used his services in the past for a rental property in Greenwich.

If you know Richard, then why don't you contact him with your questions instead of awarding him 3 best answers for the 3 questions you posted this evening?

It does make one wonder if you are in "cahoots" with him to assist him in increasing his rank and points on this site.

Please, explain.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
sage woodward, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Thu Oct 17, 2013
Greeting's Patricia,

Greenwich is a very Dog friendly town. It is also a very family oriented town. Landlords have the ability to decide whether or not pets are allowed. A lot of the landlords that I deal with understand that dog owner is a happier person and happier people are more responsible. More responsible people pay the rent on time and will take care of issues that arise from pet ownership. I would be happy to help you find a house and can take you on a tour of local pet friendly parks.

Have a great day,

Sage Woodward
Coldwell Banker
203-313-1238
The Garthman…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Fri Oct 11, 2013
As Realtors representating several landlords, we are first interested in knowing the creditworthiness of the prospective tenant. Once we ascertain their ability to pay the rent, then we can consider the creditworthiness of their pets. We would want to know the breed, the age, the size, a letter from the vet confirming recent shots and then, after some preliminary research, decide if it is worthwhile for the landlord to accept a particular pet.

Once a pet is accepted, the lease will address issues that may arise by allowing a pet.
Also, it may be advantageous to have an insurance policy to cover any problems that a pet may cause. If a dog bites a guest visiting a rental home then there are liabilities.

Pets can be great tenants, but we must do our 'due diligence' to make sure they stay that way both landlord and tenant!
Lynne Carrie…, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Thu Nov 10, 2011
So sorry for all the trouble you have had...asking questions....As answered..by Mr Breglia....some landlords ask for a pet deposite...others are dog lovers and will be happy to have your friend as a tennant.....please feel free to have your friend contact me for further infomation of help...have a nice day...
Patricia Bee, Home Buyer, Greenwich, CT
Fri Nov 4, 2011
Well I think I have made clear about all my questions and the possible "cahooting" scheme in my explanation to Mrs. Feghali. Now Mrs. Bell this is another Real Estate question. This friend of mine who is coming to live in Greenwich is due to live here for 3 or 4 years, as she is coming to develop a huge project for Clairol, should she buy a property because of her dogs?
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Thu Nov 3, 2011
Well, Laura, I will give you a thumbs up for your detective work! Anyone who has dogs should just buy a house instead of paying all that extra security deposit money! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
Dear Terry, Perhaps it helps to become a "VIP" if you make frequent comments, but before you mislead poor Patricia Bell, you should know that Greenwich/CT does not allow landlords to charge a pet 'security deposit' at all! Given the price of buying, she might just do better renting. Just saying.... Susan (Greenwich4Sale)
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Thu Nov 3, 2011
Hello Patricia,
Some landlords do accept pets but may limit which dogs are acceptable according to the breed and size.

I suggest that your friend work with a real estate agent in Greenwich so that the agent can inform her on whether her dogs would be acceptable. The agent can inquire with the landlord beforehand about her dogs as this way she won't be set up for disappointment if she really likes the place but then only discover later that the landlord won't accept her dogs.

I work in the Greenwich area and would be happy to assist your friend in locating a rental. Please, feel free to contact me.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
laurafeghali@prudential ct.com
203-536-4802

.