My boyfriend and I are moving in together, both relocating to Columbia, SC to do so. Are there any areas that I should avoid looking for rentals in?

Asked by Colleen M Speaker, Columbia, SC Tue Jun 18, 2013

My boyfriend will be officially out out of the Army after serving for four years and I have decided to defer my second graduate degree program for a year until we get settled. We are both applying for jobs every day and have yet to receive decent offers. With our saving, we certainly can afford to rent an apartment or condo for however long it takes us to secure full-time employment, but I'd like to make sure that we won't have to settle for a highly student-populated community. Any suggestions? Advice? Heck, encouragement would go a long way too!

Answers

6
Elena Corbin, Other Pro, Columbia, SC
Fri Jul 5, 2013
What sort of jobs are you looking for?
simality, , Columbia, SC
Mon Jun 24, 2013
I am NOT a realtor, therefore I have nothing to gain (or lose) by answering. I just want to help.

If you want to avoid students stay out of the greater Columbia area. Our university is HUGE so the city proper and most of the surrounding neighborhoods are full of students.

Northeast Columbia is pretty decent. Forest Acres isn't bad, although its not what it was.

You don't want to live in the Southeast part of town. Its poor and getting poorer. Anybody who says otherwise is selling something. Hampton Apartments, I'm looking at you.
Phil Jenkins, Agent, Columbia, SC
Tue Jun 18, 2013
One community in SE Columbia that may interest you is Hampton Forest. Contact me with more questions, if you like. Always delighted to assist those who have served our Country...

Phil Jenkins
phil.jenkins@era.com
I've certainly noticed properties that would fit our lifestyle/needs NE and SE of Columbia. I have really liked some places around the Arcadia Lakes area, but recall seeing properties SE of Columbia that had caught my eye as well. My father and I plan to take a trip down to Columbia in the next week or two to check some places out, so if you have any advice on where I should start, I'm all ears!
Flag Tue Jun 18, 2013
Julie Smith, Agent, Columbia, SC
Tue Jun 18, 2013
Hi Colleen, First I want to thank you very much for your service to our country! The job market here in Columbia is difficult - hard to find a position that pays a good salary. Try to find a way to network with other people who may be in a position to either recommend you or hire you. Anyway, you asked about where to live - It depends so much on what kind of lifestyle you like and how much rent you are willing to pay. There are many websites that have apartments listed in the area where you can get details of what facilities they offer, among other things. Try Googling apartments in Columbia. Good Luck!
Daryl Campbe…, Agent, Columbia, SC
Tue Jun 18, 2013
If you are looking to avoid students, you want to avoid homes in Five Points, Rosewood, and Downtown in general since the University of SC is downtown. What price range are you looking for? That is a big factor in deciding where you'd like to stay.
We'd like to keep our price range within reason. I also have a dog that is also kind of like my child so she's most definitely moving in with us as well. I know that can complicate things as far as deposits on places go as well as it's impact on available properties. Right now, in Morgantown, WV I am paying over $1,000/mo after rent & utilities, so I was thinking if we could keep our total monthly expenses under $1,400-1,500 we will be just fine. I have seen a few small rental homes I've fallen in love with, but have also checked into some of the apartment complexes around Acadia Lake area.
Flag Tue Jun 18, 2013
Jay Luebke, Agent, Columbia, SC
Tue Jun 18, 2013
Good morning,

If you are looking to stay out of the student sphere, it would probably be best for you to avoid parts of the downtown area. There are many student off-campus housing communities that are within a close proximity to downtown and to the USC campus.

If you are looking for some nice areas, you could see what rental homes are available in the Shandon area, or you could look towards Forest Acres for apartment complexes and houses if you are looking to be close to Ft. Jackson and downtown.

You also might be able to find some nice homes and rental communities that are towards the Irmo area, up around Harbison Ave. and Lake Murray Blvd. These are some places that I would suggest to begin your search. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me, and if you ever decide that you are ready to purchase your first home, please give me a call!

--
Jay Luebke
Real Estate Professional
Russell and Jeffcoat Metro Office
1931 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Office: 803-252-6332