Moving to the Reno with bad credit?

Asked by Tdesou, Reno, NV Fri Nov 26, 2010

My two daughters and I are looking to move to the Reno area in February. I have a foreclosure and bankruptcy on my credit. I am willing to put an extra month deposit and/or first/last/deposit on a 3 bedroom house. I have a good amount saved for the move. I work from home and can prove with paystubs and bank statements income of over 5,000/month. I would like a house in a decent area that would accept a dog. I just don't want to waste anyone's time if they do not work with bad credit. There seems to be a lot of rentals on craigslist in my price range, however, I know it will take a lot for an owner to take a chance on me! Any agents out there who do work with bad credit? Or, if you know, how much deposit will it take for an owner to accept my application?

Answers

4
Ron Bell, Agent, Reno, NV
Sun Nov 28, 2010
Tdesou,

I agree with Wayne; no biggie on the credit thing. Keep in mind you are moving to what many consider the foreclosure and bankruptcy capital of the world. This is nothing new in this town; in fact many good tenants have a similar ding on their credit as they have had to give their homes up that have corrected 50-70%. A smart landlord or property manager will know that they will have a long term tenant because they can't buy a home and forced to rent.

Keep in mind that a foreclosure and bankruptcy are one of the easiest things to get repaired off of your credit report. Research a good repair company (most are scams) and research cleaning it up yourself. Go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com and get to work on it.

Many Realtor's including myself can find owner financed or lease option homes which gets you a shoe in for what is a once in a lifetime buying opportunity.

I post the lease options and owner financed homes on my site for people like yourself and I guess myself as well for that matter. Again; be careful of scams in the owner finance and especially lease options/rent to owns world.

Ron Bell
Reno Realtor selling Reno homes.
775-750-5256
mariemcilrai…, Renter, Reno, NV
Fri Oct 3, 2014
my son and I are looking to move around the first of January but I have really really bad rental history so can someone please help.
Wayne Capurro, Agent, Reno, NV
Fri Nov 26, 2010
Tdesou,
Many are in a similar situation to yours. This is especially so here in Nevada. If the rest of your credit report looks good you shouldn't have a problem finding a landlord who will accept your terms. The dog will probably limit your options more than your credit history. I suspect you're looking at a rental rate of somewhere between $1250 and $1750 per month. Contact me when your about a month out and I'll try to direct you to a rental that works for you. 775-850-5000 My name is Wayne Capurro.
I have a pending job offer in Sparks, NV at the state hospital. I'm looking to relocate to Sparks. Pleas let me know if you can help me. Thanks.
Flag Mon May 12, 2014
Clark Riel, Agent, Reno, NV
Fri Nov 26, 2010
I may have a brother in law that is willing to rent his property that is a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath. I will tell him of your situation and see what he is willing to do. Here is my e-mail and if you wish message me so I can contact you directly. clark.riel@sbcglobal.net