Military may take us to the Portland area. How do I find what we are looking for from San Diego, Cali?? Will be renting for 3 years!?

Asked by ahshamarie, Portland, OR Sat Dec 1, 2012

looking for 3 beds 2.5 bath (minimum), we have a 50 lb dog and a soon to be 2 year old. looking for something spacious and safe with a fenced in yard, near a preschool and not too far from the center of the big city!

Answers

9
Dan Tabit’s answer
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Dec 3, 2012
ahshamarie,
One last thought, Portland is just across the Bridge from Vancouver WA. In Washington we have a sales tax, but no income tax. In Oregon, they have an income tax but not a sales tax. Some people find it advantageous to live in WA and work and shop in OR.
Shea McGrath, Other Pro, Portland, OR
Sun Dec 2, 2012
Welcome to the Portland area. We have several rentals available and even though December is generally a slow time of year for moving, we are as busy as ever.
Check out our website at http://www.carefreeinc.com and let us know if anything fits your needs. Each of our properties has a different owner and therefore different pet policy. If you are planning a visit to town, call ahead to schedule viewings. If you have someone in town that can look at homes for you have them contact us. Otherwise we have photos posted on our site, along with maps and the ability to apply online.
Good luck in your search.
Shea
Marcus Koss, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Sun Dec 2, 2012
Congrats on the assignment. I am a former active duty Marine myself -- so I am well acquainted with the struggles of changes in duty assignment... First off, I would recommend finding a rental that would be suitable for your family. Trulia is a good source for those leads and property management companies may also be able to help depending on what they have available at the time of your move. Three years is also long enough to buy a home (and sell again) as well. I know quite a few military families that have used the opportunity to purchase a property not only to just live in for the three years, but also as an investment through sweat equity in the property or to hold as a long term rental after their next duty move.

Feel free to ring me directly (503-539-5814) if you would like to talk further about all of this! Either way, good luck in Portland, and Semper Fi!
Diane Moreau, , Portland, OR
Sun Dec 2, 2012
Rental Properties in the Portland area are in high demand. Homes closer to the city will be more expensive than those in the outlying areas. My cousin is a former Marine and worked from the base near the Portland Airport. I'm guessing that would be the same for you? If so, you will probably want to consider homes in NE and SE Portland.
While my company, Living Room Realtors, primarily works with Buyers and Sellers, we do have a Property Management department and also work with Renters to find homes. If you would like help with finding a home I'm happy to do so at a reduced fee for you. We can discuss it further, if in fact you know you are coming to Portland.
As I mentioned, the rental market is hot and properties rent very quickly - usually within hours of being advertise. In most cases, the first person to get their application and screening fee $30 - $40 submitted, has first option on the house. I always recommend turning in application fee even before seeing a house. Since you are out of state, you will either need to come up for a few days or have someone local turn in application fees and possibly tour houses for you.
Whatever you decide to do, I'm happy to discuss the process with you further or answer any questions you may have.
Diane Moreau, Broker
503.680.5836
Diane@LivingRoomRealtors.co
ahshamarie, , Portland, OR
Sat Dec 1, 2012
We are a Marine family. Thank you for all the answers -very prompt! And thank your for supporting the troops and their families! If we get orders to Portland we will find out January 24th and make the move in February. Portlad is our #1 pick. Thanks again!
Marvin Von R…, Agent, Tigard, OR
Sat Dec 1, 2012
To purchase or rent? Hello from a fellow Californian from Santa Cruz. We came here 20 years ago to escape the 32,000,000 people!
Cindy Westfa…, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Sat Dec 1, 2012
Hi There,
If you're looking to rent, then you'll need to get in touch with some Property Management companies here in the Portland area. Unlike other parts of the country, real estate agents do not work with rentals unless they are their own homes. The first thing you'll want to think about is location or how far of a commute you'll want to go to work which will pinpoint different neighborhoods to look at within that driving distance. You can look on Craig's List or Trulia for rentals, but please be aware that there has been a history of rental scams on Craig's List.

All the best!

Cindy Westfall
Premiere Property Group
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sat Dec 1, 2012
Ahsamarie,
You are going to need the help of a Portland area Realtor. Several will likely respond to your question and there may be others you can consider on the Find a Pro tab above. I've helped others relocate to the Seattle area and there is nothing like having a local with good working knowledge of the neighborhoods, schools and the rental market on your team. Agents are paid a commission from the landlords’ side, so there is no downside for you to find a great one and put them to work.
Welcome to the Northwest. I hope you enjoy your time here.
Lana Lavenba…, Agent, Grants Pass, OR
Sat Dec 1, 2012
OK sounds like you are in the Navy possibly like my boy. I wish I had the agent to have you call to help with a rental up there but I dont - I just wanted to say welcome to Oregon...I hope you enjoy it and are always safe! Thank you for what you do!