Me and my friend are looking to move into Manhattan but we're on a very tight budget?

Asked by Unspecified, East Islip, NY Mon Sep 24, 2012

It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to find but we have heard tales of 2 bedroom apartments for $1,000 & under. Can anyone help us find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $1,000 please??

Answers

10
Jerry Trudell’s answer
Jerry Trudell, Agent, NY,
Sat Apr 6, 2013
Hearing a tale is the same thing no matter what subject you are talking about, and you probably heard a tale. The only other possibility could be a rent controlled or stabilized apartment, in which case, the tenants might be sublettting. However, most scammers use this ploy and , realistically speaking, if someone were to sublet their apartment, they may want to try and get more than they pay, which could constitute an illegal sublet. Therefore, you have virtually no chance of finding a 2 bedroom apartment for 1000 dollars. You may discover what many others have, and that is that you cannot afford to live in Manhattan, .What you call a "tight" budget is not a budget, for practical purposes, that could work in Manhattan .
Voices Member, , New York, NY
Mon Sep 24, 2012
If they do exist you probably wouldn't want to rest your head there. The rental market is very strong in manhattan and landlords are getting as much as they can for their apartments. I haven't seen studios in manhattan close to $1000 let alone 2 bedrooms. I don't think they exist.
I totally agree. As an agent that specializes in Upper Manhattan (some of the most economical housing in Manhattan), even studios don't go that cheap. I have worked on a few 2brs at $1400, but even that is extremely low for Manhattan.
Flag Mon Sep 24, 2012
David Del Rio, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 8, 2013
2 bedroom apartments for $1,000 & under? Tales - depends on who is telling the tale. There aren't any current market value prices near that and even for popular boroughs like brooklyn and queens is tough if you want closer to manhattan. Research the market before you start looking at ads.

David Del Rio
http://www.aclawrence.com/1487
Ckallicharran, , New York, NY
Sat Jan 26, 2013
There are no two bedroom apartments for under $1,000 in New York City. If you would like to search on your own and verify for your self, please set up a OLR account. You can search and get a good idea of what's avaiable.
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Wed Sep 26, 2012
If you consider Brooklyn or Queens, please call me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Sep 25, 2012
I believe the guarantor will need to show 80, not 40 times the rent as income - that might vary depedning on the buiding, I know I had to show that when I was the guarantor for my son
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Even Queens and Brooklyn is a stretch.
Veronika Baba, Agent, NY,
Tue Sep 25, 2012
There is no apartments for $1000 in Manhattan. You can find some in Queens or Brooklyn but no so easy. Also you should know that you have to have a income of 40 times the monthly rent or a guarantor with the annual income of 40 times the monthly rent and good credit.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Have you considered the Queens area...for available properties check http://www.mlsli.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Sep 24, 2012
you may have to come up with a revised plan.......

perhaps consider one of the other boroughs..... or NJ.......and, making due with a studio or 1 bedroom.....even with those lower requirements, your search will still be challenging.