Making an offer for a rental

Asked by Greenhills, Brooklyn, NY Sun May 13, 2012

Is there such a thing? I saw a place today that was inexpensive but pretty run down. It will need work to be rentable at all. Before the landlord even starts, should I make an offer to rent, and include the specific work I see as necessary? This would include removing an awful built-in bunk bed blocking a window and refinishing a wood floor. I could express this as being in exchange for a reliable tenant (good history) and possibly a bit more in rent in order to build into the lease any extra costs. What do you think?

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon May 14, 2012
Of course you can try negotiating with the landlord; if he/she agrees make sure all is in writing....
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sun May 13, 2012
Dear Greenhills:

Almost everything in life is negotiable. It just depends on how bad you want or how bad they want to make a deal! You can put together a nice letter explaining how much you love the place, give them an offer. You can ask for lower rent and/or some free time (a month?) to do renovations. If you are greatly qualified show as much of your qualifications as possible such as credit report, income statements and references.

Just keep in mind the landlord may say no or accept another offer so make sure you plan it out ahead and know what you are or are not willing to do. If I can be of further assistance, contact me direct. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
First Last, , 90002
Sun May 13, 2012
Sure! Go for it. Just be sure to get your terms in writing so there is no confusion later.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York NY
212-688-1000x146
Bill DiBerna…, , Bricktown, NJ
Sun May 20, 2012
If you see the potential in the property for your happiness, whats a little extra work? Atleast you will be getting exactly what you want when its done. Have a great day!
Robbie Vaughn, Agent, Mineola, NY
Sun May 20, 2012
Are you sure you want to rent an apartment from a landlord that doesn't maintain their property? Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://bverealty.com
Angela Nelson, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon May 14, 2012
absolutely, most landlords are pretty flexible.