Looking to rent a place with strict criteria in mind. What's the best way of finding someone who can help me narrow down listings?

Asked by Stephanie, New York, NY Mon Aug 19, 2013

1) My target rent is no more than $1,300 per month.
2) I do not want to be further than a 7-min walk away from a subway station.
3) No longer than a 30-min commute to/from 54th St & 8th Ave.
4) Below 70th Street if on Manhattan.
5) No shared bathrooms, i.e. at least 1 full bathroom.
6) Kitchen with a stove of at least 2 burners.

I understand that this list might be tough to work with, but I have time (i.e. I do not have to move from where I am now until January next year if I have to).

Answers

8
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Tue Aug 20, 2013
I've read the responses and the jury is in. Your chance of finding what you seek based on your criteria is slim to none. You've probably done some amount of searching on your own, found nothing and now come to the RE community for help. I see this as the basic progression for someone looking to rent these days. I commend your realization that you'll need to work with a broker.

Obviously, price is your biggest issue. A close second is your time frame. Brokers won't spend much time with you now as you have no immediate need. If you found something that worked, would you be able to break your current lease? You may hear this question frequently. I suggest you consider being very flexible on your criteria. I wish you all the best.
Alajuwon Ale…, Agent, NY,
Mon Aug 19, 2013
@Jackie Tolwosky not even Astoria. Studios start at 1400/1500 , even then they rent the first day they are on the market.
Jackie Tolko…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Aug 19, 2013
yOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO DO A SHARE OR MOVE TO QUEENS, ASTORIA, BROOKLYN...

MANHATTAN STUDIOS START AT MINIMUM $1800, ONE BEDS ARE $2300, THOSE ARE IN WALKUPS. ELEVATOR BLDGS ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.
Scott Musman…, , New York, NY
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Hello Stephanie,

1. That's going to be tough
2. Thats 7 blocks from a subway sation
3. to be within a half hour of 54th and 8th you are more than likely in Manhattan
4. On the west side of Manhattan
5. No problem
6. No problem

Answer: Get a Real Estate Agent and have them look for a studio apartment between West 70th street to the North and West 34th streets to the South and between 11th avenue to 5th avenue, Good luck!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Aug 19, 2013
For the Queens area check http://www.mlsli.com
Alex Fernand…, Agent, Rego Park, NY
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Give me a call or e-mail me so we can go over a few things. This may be a tough list but with time on your hand we may be able to find you an apartment. I'd like to know other than Manhattan were would you be interested in living.

Alex Fernandez
Licensed Real Estate Sales Person
New Vista Horizons, Inc.
(646) 234-2231
Alex@nvhny.com
Alajuwon Ale…, Agent, NY,
Mon Aug 19, 2013
#1 you will not find anything in Manhattan under 125th St for under $1500.00 so just forget about Manhattan. You should be able to find something in Brooklyn or Queens. Your best bet is to find someone who is very familiar with these areas. Also, waiting until January for something to come up is not a good idea, no matter if you have a year or two years to move, you wont find an apartment that doesnt exist. I recommend looking into areas like Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens, etc. of Queens, nice areas and the commute to the city is not bad. Hope this helps.

Alajuwon J Aleem
Adina Greenb…, Agent, NY,
Mon Aug 19, 2013
That's not a realistic budget.