Looking to move to San Antonio very soon.

Asked by Tc, San Antonio, TX Mon Dec 14, 2009

Moving to San Antonio within 2 months and looking for a lease property. I need 3 bdrms, 2 baths and a min of 1500 sf. Wanting to pay no more than 900pm. Cannot purchase right now because my job will relocate me upon promotion (I am relocating from Houston now because of my job). Also wanted to know if it would be beneficial to get my real estate license or just go for appraiser (would have to start from the beginning with both). I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you very much.
TC

Answers

3
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
TC,

Welcome to San Antonio. You will certainly love it here and compared to Houston, traffic won't even be a bother. Ok, well every now and then it's not great, but still nothing compared to Houston.

Rentals like the ones that you are looking for wont be too difficult to find, however rentals that are very nicely conditioned and priced well are going very, very fast here so you certainly should plan on sending a list of more criteria like location, 2 or 1 story, 2 car garage and run it by a Realtor who can pull up the listed rentals that will fit your criteria. Also, try Craigslist and mysa.com to see if you can find any other rentals that you may like. Be warned that Realtors like Doc was telling you really don't get paid much or sometimes anything at all to show you rentals, so usually you need to do all your research, drive-bys and so forth so you can narrow your search to your top 3 before you call the Realtor to look on the inside. Unless you feel that you need to see more or have more help w/ due-diligence than you may consider offering a few hundred to the Realtor for their time. Just being honest.

Your last question sets me back just a tad. If you get relocated by your job as frequently as you say you do and won't really ever be in the position to buy your house, then what exactly is your game plan on getting either a re license or appraisers license? Not being mean at all, just asking the hard questions because the warning is that pretty much both of them requjire a lot of work, dues, fees and can take time to get started up. Any Realtor that's located at a brokerage that offers "down-line" compensation or profit share will all jump at the bit to get you to be a Realtor. That's why you had better be sure about the answers to these tough questions so that you can see which decision is best. Either way, they are both rewarding and extremely lucrative if you have the passioni, time and money to put into your business as they are certainly both ways to start a business and not just a J-O-B.

God bless you on your search and your move.
Josh
Doc & Ellen…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Hi, TC,

You're going to love SA! There are lots of nice available rentals @ $900 or below. In addition to 3/2, 1,500+ SF, here are some other things your REALTOR® will need to know:

What part of town do you want to live in? Do you need to be close to your work? How long a commute do you prefer?
Do you have pets? Anyone smoke?
How long a lease do you want?
Do you prefer 1-story or 2? How many Bedrooms? Need a formal Living or Dining Room?
Need a fenced yard? Need a garage? 1 car or 2?
Are schools important? Any special programs needed?
Any other preferences?

Then, armed with that info, your REALTOR can pull up from Multiple Listing ALL availabe homes that match your criteria, go through the pictures and descriptions with you or send them to you via e-mail, cull out the non-starters, go see the three or four top picks and help you to qualify and negotiate more favorable terms for yourself. That's pretty good, since you don't pay the REALTOR fee. The Listing Agent pays our fee out of his or her listing commission. By the way, Rental commissions are TINY, so be prepared to do drive-bys yourself, to eliminate bad neighborhoods before going out with an agent.

Most Landlords and property managers won't hold a property for more than two or three weeks, so you have plenty of time.

As to which license you should pursue, REALTORS are free to build their own businesses and are not dependent on someone to call them to do a job, like an appraisal. If you are a self-starter, can stand independence, like to make things happen on your own, and don't like to wait for the phone to ring, REALTOR is the choice. Some REALTORS work as members of teams where they trade lower commission splits for live leads, so they at least start with someone to work with. Make sure you start with a brokerage that emphasizes Education! Without it, your Real Estate Career will be short and brutal.,

If you prefer dealing with numbers rather than people, like a more predictable schedule, are willing to pay your dues until you get competent and networked, maybe you'll like appraisal work. There are lots of personality profiles available on the web (the DISC Profile, for example) that may help you to decide what you are best suited for. If you keep getting promoted, you probably won't have time to pursue either! :)

If you would like to talk with a REALTOR who teaches the personality profile class, and see what the life of a REALTOR is about, please feel free to contact me. As the Chair of Keller Williams (IH-10) Agent Career Development Committee, I will be happy to spend some time with you and answer any questions you may have. I love being a REALTOR, but it's not a life for everyone.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR®
10999 IH-10 W, Suite 175
(in the City View Building)
San Antonio, TX 78230
(210) 696-9996
Rodney Jordan, , San Antonio, TX
Mon Dec 14, 2009
TC,

I would be more than happy to assist you, if you would like to get started give me a call or email me today.

Rodney Jordan (REALTOR)
210-422-3478
rjordan@kw.com