Leasing Agreement Prior Viewing

Asked by Unspecified, San Francisco, CA Fri Nov 15, 2013

Is it common for landlords/property managers to require a leasing agreement, security deposit, and first month's rent deposited in their bank account before we can even view the apartment? I've never run into a situation like this before and want to make sure it's not a scam.

Usually we are allowed to see the apartment before we sign any contracts or make any deposits, but this landlord/property manager requires us to make a deposit and sign an agreement before we can even see the apartment.

Is that common? Does it happen often? Or is it not usually supposed to happen?

Answers

6
Par Hanji, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Nov 15, 2013
Never - report this scam because it surely is. Just bring a copy of your credit report (recent) to avoid paying a fee.
LDM, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Fri Nov 15, 2013
It is surely a scam. I've heard about ppl needing to do the credit report/$50 fee (which I think is ridiculous), but the whole shebang, before you've even laid eyes on the place? NO WAY.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Fri Nov 15, 2013
No it is not common. My guess is that it is a scam.
Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Fri Nov 15, 2013
That sounds very shady.

I can see that they want an application prior to showing if it is currently occupied (so they can limit the viewings to serious & qualified candidates) but I wouldn't recommend giving them any cash or signing a lease prior to even checking out the property.
sadfr, , 94110
Sun Nov 17, 2013
it sounds like a scam,was it an ad on craigslist,report it to the cops
Gabriel Rojas, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
This is not common. It does not happen often. This is not a common practice and I would walk away now and, whatever you do, do not send money, etc. to this person.

Good luck on your search!

Gabriel