June 1 I am relocating to Branson and would like to rent one year before buying..I have 2 large dogs...how difficult is it to find a place w/dog?

Asked by Rikkihummel, Chesapeake, VA Thu Jan 30, 2014

Answers

5
Thomas Hopki…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Feb 24, 2015
Hi Rikkihummel,

Searching for a rental home with a pet can be tough. Landlords and property managers are always going to ask the following information -
1) type of pet and number
2) breed
3) size, weight
4) spade / neutered
5) and some will ask for shot records and any history of attacks / bites

You should also be prepared to pay a little more. Possibly a higher security deposit or an extra monthly fee to have the dogs. The other thing to consider is purchasing renters insurance and placing the landlord on the policy as a beneficiary. By doing this, if your dog bites anyone in the neighborhood, they will not be liable for the attack. This is especially important if the dog is on the restricted breed list that some property managers keep.

The best way to figure out how hard it is going to be to rent with your dogs is to make a few calls to available properties in the city you are moving too. Talk with the landlord and property managers and see what they say. Also be prepared to offer them references for your pets and send them pictures. Offer to bring your pet(s) to the open house. All of these things are good signs that your dog or pet is well behaved.

To best prepare yourself for a move, consider making a rental resume to share your rental information and history with your future landlords. This will open up your inventory of available properties. http://www.tenantopia.com has a rental resume creator on their site. I have also seen on on a property manager's site here in San Francisco, but I can't recall the name. Maybe appartmentlist.
Linda Hovell, Agent, Branson, MO
Fri Feb 21, 2014
You might want to look at some homes to purchase. You might find you will be able to get into your own home at the same cost of renting, and will save yourself another move.
Bob Robson, Other Pro, Hollister, MO
Thu Jan 30, 2014
I see many properties that allow pets. Branson is very pet friendly.
Brent Sager, Agent, Branson, MO
Thu Jan 30, 2014
It shouldn't be that hard. I have a big Akita and another smaller dog and I was able to find a place to rent before I purchased my home. If you don't have a specific property management company that you would like to work with let me know and I would be glad to refer someone.
Wonderful to know...thanks. This is a huge for me... I will keep you contact info. It is impossible renting here...no animals over 35 pounds. My house here goes on market may 1st...thanks again.
Flag Thu Jan 30, 2014
SteveMattison, Agent, Highlandville, MO
Thu Jan 30, 2014
Not that difficult. You will just need a good property management company to help you. I will be glad to refer you to a couple of local agencies. Steve
Thanks Steve. I will keep your contact info. as week. My house goes on market here May 1st. Will be in touch then. So excited and relieved...
Flag Thu Jan 30, 2014