Is there any place that would consider renting to a person that has a blemish on their credit?

Asked by Na Marshall, Detroit, MI Tue Apr 9, 2013

My Husband of 25 yrs decided he didn't want to be married to me any more. As a result he didn't pay our lease for the last 2 months, we were evicted. My problem is because at the time my credit was stronger he had the better income the manager put me first on the lease. Now i get turned down everywhere I apply.
Trying to leave a bad situation

Answers

5
Michael Steb…, Agent, Grayslake, IL
Sat Aug 2, 2014
While this question is a little dated it remains a good & common concern that many people have, so lets address it.

The short answer is "yes", there are things you can do to overcome this obstacle. While you should never assume that it will work every time, this approach should tend to produce positive results more often than not.

1. Fill out all applications & paperwork correctly & legibly.
2. Follow any directions the landlord has exactly as requested.
3. Include a "Distress Letter" - This is a short 2 or 3 paragraph letter explaining why you are in the situation you are in.
4. Offer an additional months rent as security deposit.

I have had great success following this formula and highly encourage others to follow.

As a side note: be sure to start addressing the credit issues immediately with a local financial adviser. Most of the time the hardest part about repairing credit is waiting, so don't delay - repair today.

Have a great day!
Rex Berkeley, Agent, Royal Oak, MI
Sat Aug 2, 2014

Although that landlords tend to choose tenants that have great credits, there are some who are willing to make an exception. All you need is to show them strong credentials such as your proof of income.
Providing them your latest pay stubs and a letter from your employer will help. A letter from your previous landlord mentioning you have been paying your rent on time is also recommended. I also suggest a personal letter stating who you are and the reason you have bad credit. Make it personable, as landlords love to know about their tenant.
Hope this helps!
Robert Torrey, Agent, Clarkston, MI
Sat Jul 5, 2014
There definitely are. These days most people have blemishes on there credit. Its most important to be honest with whoever you are dealing with.
Bob Schweiss, Agent, Livonia, MI
Tue Apr 9, 2013
How bad is the blemish, is it just the rent issue or is it utilities and more.
I like to think that everyone is entitled to a second chance. Just be honest with the person your dealing with.

If i can help let me know we have some properties available.

Bob Schweiss
(313)779-6188
Cassandra M.…, Agent, Canton, GA
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Usually many investors will consider this, it just depends all the factors.

I would advise (At least in the GA market) to avoid most apartment complexes and seek out some of the investors. Before you pay an application fee, have a discussion - be very honest - with the owner/manager/agent and get their idea of what they will accept. Many times they will be able to tell you if there is a chance of approval or straight out if you wont. This will save a lot of fees.

Good luck restarting on a good leaf.

~Cassandra Bickel, REALTOR