Is there a more efficient way of finding Section 8 eligible homes in Orleans Parish?

Asked by Jahlon Jackson, New Orleans, LA Wed Dec 5, 2012

I am new to the Section 8 process & it is driving me crazy! I am approved for a 3 bedroom, but would prefer a 4 bedroom, as my daughters are not little (22, 21, 15). If I had no choice, then I would take the 3 bedroom. I just want everyone to be comfortable. Can anyone help me, please???

Answers

5
natacamcdoug…, Renter, Gretna, LA
Sun Jul 27, 2014
im am a single mom of 5 with a jefferson parish sec8 voucher i need to move asap hard to find some where in a nice quit neighborhood with hardwood floors, in large rms single family home,spacious yard for children.15,5 boy11,4,1girls.
Willie Harris, Home Buyer, New Orleans, LA
Tue Jun 10, 2014
I am currently living under Permanent Supportive Housrs. I would like to know is it at all possible to swicth over to section 8?
Salem, Home Buyer, Little Woods, New Orleans, LA
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Please call me at 972-767-9810 if you are still looking.

Tad
Stephanie Ca…, Agent, Metairie, LA
Wed Dec 5, 2012
You can log on to Hano.org. They have a section called property listings. Everything on this list is eligible for section 8. You can also go to Gosection8.com.
Please keep in mind you may have a hard time finding someone that is willing to take a 3 bedroom voucher for a 4 bedroom home. The reason is once the contract for the property is approved Hano will call and tell the owner how much they are willing to give them for the house. Inevitable it is pretty much ALWAYS less than what the face value of the voucher is for. For example a 3 bedroom voucher is usually $1323 mo. If you find a 3 bedroom, turn your paperwork in, Hano will call the home owner to tell them how much they are willing to provide for you. It is usually never the $1323 (that is the max Hano will provide). It may be more like $1100. $1200. It really depends on what they figure for your utility allowance, your financial responsibility etc. Each person and situation is different but even though the owner tells you they will accept you as a tenant does not mean they have to let you continue to stay if Hano offers them less than they are willing to accept. The reason I point all this out is because a 4 bedroom that they could usually get even more for will still only qualify for the $1100 or $1200 mo (I am just using these numbers as an example). Just want to make sure you are aware of what can come up because it can be surprising in the end to both you and the home owner. Lots of luck to you. Its a great program but can be tricky to navigate.
Lisa Heindel, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Jahlon, an agent will be able to pull a list of Section 8 rental listings for you. Remember, not all Section 8 properties are listed with an agent, so I would check nola.com and Craigslist as well. Keep in mind that there are scams on Craigslist, so be careful about giving anyone your personal information. If you need a rental agent, call Amanda Walker at 504-388-2666.
Thank you for replying back so fast, I was not expecting that. You are right about the scams on Craig's List. I have come across a few in just days after being approved for Section 8. Looking for a home seems like the most difficult part of the process. Thank you for the info & advice, it shall be taken.
Flag Wed Dec 5, 2012