Is the utilities like water, sewer, trash collection under my name if I am going to rent an SFH?

Asked by Rich Vill, Fort Worth, TX Mon Apr 30, 2012

I used to lease an apt. Now, I'm thinking of rentng an SFH. Just like the apt, I believe that all the utilities (electric, cable, etc) will be on my name. But how about the water, sewer, and trash collection, is this going to be on my name also? I believe that this type of utilities are payable to the city. Pls give me an idea about this. This is the only thing I havn't experience in the apt. Any info is much appreciated. I'm thinking of an SFH in Keller, TX, under Keller ISD, 3/2/2, max USD1,200 but < than this is a for me, expectied to move in 2 to 3 mos.

Answers

3
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Typically yes, they go in your name...everything in your name.
Maybe 1 in 100 for some reason I've seen stay in the landlords name and rebilled to you by the landlord.

For rentals around Keller ISD area you want to look about 30 days out.
You can see properties here at this link:
http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/propertytype/…
Just be advised that rental prices have gone up, way up. For example right now I only see one rental property in 76244 or 76248 at $1200 or less a month. There are some in Watauga with Keller schools.
Thank you very much for the the additional info. I really appreciate it. Moving is really stressful. I want to search an SFH to rent 30 days before my move but almost all of them would be gone after 30 days.
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
Brian Rayl, Agent, Dallas, TX
Tue May 1, 2012
It often depends on the specific city as to if the bill will remain in the landlords name of if it will go into the tenants name.

Keller is beginning a difficult rental area because homes move so quickly and prices have gone up like Bruce said.

Best of luck in your home search.
Thank you very much.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Hello Rich,

It's normally just like what you are thinking - with electricity, cable etc. in your name, but water, sewer and trash collection in landlord's. However, some landlords may offer some different breakdown - which should be reflected in your offer (that's where you say how you want to have it done), and then in the lease agreement.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Thank you for info. That helps.
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012