In California, does a property owner have to notify tenants it is listed for sale?

Asked by Justme, 90807 Thu Sep 29, 2011

Answers

4
Lillie Missb…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011

You may want to notify your tenants for a couple of reasons. First, you would want to know why strangers are coming to where you are living, possibly peeking around. Secondly, if you inform your tenant they might be a bit more cooperative with the buyers. These future buyers may want to re-rent the property but if not, you will have to give notice to the tenant to vacate. If they are informed it will make things much easier for you in the long run, law or no law.

Please call me if you would like to find a realtor that similar insight that is in your area. Again, it's better to have people working with you not against you! You always want your property transactions to smooth and painless. My cell phone number is: 925-628-9100

All my best,

Lillie Missbrenner, Realtor DRE:01711589
Marketing Consultant
Certified Distressed Property - CDPE
Short Sale & Foreclosure Specialist - SFR
Certified HAFA Specialist - CHS
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life!
Better Homes and Garden (Previously Prudential California Realty/Mason McDuffie)
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Nov 18, 2011
I like and agree with Lillie's answer:
I would ammend it by saying that with the Tenants Rights Bill of 2009, (Pres. Obama), if the Tenant has a LEASE, it must be honored by the new owner.

Lillie's reasoning is spot-on!

Good luck and may God bless
, ,
Thu Nov 17, 2011
AS far as I know the answer is no. In fact realtors who sell rentals know that they must make the offer subject to an interior inspection. So by the time you know the home is for sale the property has already had an accepted offer on it.
Being a renter is a pain. The landlord can kick you out for any reason with a 30 day notice. The good news is that you can buy for less than the cost of renting. Don't believe me give me a call I will go over the numbers with you. Click on my picture to contact me.
Mfanisi Norm…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Tue Oct 4, 2011
Real Estate transactions whether rentals or sales are civil matters which means we dont have a law requirement for landlords to inform renter about the status of their real estate financing. If you think your rental property may be going through the foreclosure process, you can simply call your local agent, such as myself and we can find that information for you very easily.

I always recommend to my renters they check out any address prior to signing a lease. The five minutes that it takes to verify can lead to days and months of peace.

Good luck to you.